Can I "dumb Down" This Design Somehow?

Decorating By JGMB Updated 9 Nov 2009 , 5:02am by letsgetcaking

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:42pm
post #1 of 16

My pastor wrote a book and the church wants to celebrate its release on November 8th. They asked me to make a cake for the congregation. I assumed I could just write "Congratulations Jonathan" on it and call it a day. So, I agreed.

Well, now they've e-mailed me the bookcover for reference -- they must be expecting something more elaborate than what I had planned!!

I only work in buttercream, so I'm wondering if I could do the dove using a frozen buttercream transfer and maybe make the crown of thorns out of modeling chocolate.

If anyone else has ideas, I'd LOVE to hear them!! Thanks!
LL

15 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:54pm
post #2 of 16

Why not use that as an edible image for the entire top of cake. Then you just have to border the cake out.

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:54pm
post #3 of 16

Yes, you could make the thorns out of modeling chocolate but I suggest using brown (or chocolate flavored) fondant for ease of handling. You can possibly extrude all the thorns and then glue them together with either piping gel or gum glue (made with a 50/50 mixutre of tylos & water, or gumpaste and water). The modeling chocolate thorns will be so thin that the heat of your hands will melt the chocolate while assembling and arranging the crown. Good luck - you can do this!

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:58pm
post #4 of 16

Why not just incorporate the colours of the book (possibly a diagonal split?) and do a simple little dove like they have in a lot of the kids books ... similar to the bluebird jewellery - on the bottom corner freehand in white buttercream (or you can just use a template and use toothpicks to outline your shape and fill it) and just use choc buttercream to do the thorn crown on the opposite top corner (just use a piping tip) with your message in the middle of the cake? I'm assuming it is a sheet cake?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:03pm
post #5 of 16

I REALLY love the cover on that book..........I would be tempted to make a carved book cake and put an edible image on it for the front cover..........book cakes are like the easiest cakes to carve SERIOUSLY......you don't even have to do anything except carve one side of your sheetcake so it's rounded a bit like the spine of the book........or you could create the roundness by using a viva towel on the icing on that side of the cake.

I would definitely look into getting an edible image though........and make the book out of a 1/4 sheet cake......if they need more cake than that.....you could stack that "book" on top of a bigger sheet cake decorated like a wood table or something.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:07pm
post #6 of 16

JGMB - I like your original idea - but like cookie4 said, use brown fondant or a 50/50 fondant/gumpaste mix for the crown of thorns - that would really make it pop! And if your FBCT doesn't turn out - go for the EI with the added crown of thorns.

JGMB Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:11pm
post #7 of 16

Thanks for all the help so far! I'm glad that you all have more confidence in me than I do icon_wink.gif The good news is that I just have to make the one fancy cake for the table, then they'd like plain sheetcakes to cut in the kitchen. So, this cake doesn't have to be big enough to feed everyone.

I've never done an edible image and have no idea where to start. Is that what you get someone to print for you? If so, I'd hate to put all my eggs in one basket by having one EI on hand -- if I somehow ruin it, then what do I do? That's why I thought if I tried a BC transfer, I could make like 6 in case the first 5 didn't work!

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:17pm
post #8 of 16

If you order an edible image, order two to be on the safe side, it's worth the time savings for the amount the extra image would cost you. Just like someone else said, I think I'd make it look like a book. good luck

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:18pm
post #9 of 16

I've had 2 EI that I bought at Wal Mart bakery. They were easy to use and had no problems with either one. I am definately a beginner so I know that you can do this. I love that cover and think KHalstead is right on. Go for it!!!!

nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 3:04pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I REALLY love the cover on that book..........I would be tempted to make a carved book cake and put an edible image on it for the front cover..........book cakes are like the easiest cakes to carve SERIOUSLY......you don't even have to do anything except carve one side of your sheetcake so it's rounded a bit like the spine of the book........or you could create the roundness by using a viva towel on the icing on that side of the cake.

I would definitely look into getting an edible image though........and make the book out of a 1/4 sheet cake......if they need more cake than that.....you could stack that "book" on top of a bigger sheet cake decorated like a wood table or something.

Absolutely agree! This would make a gorgeous carved book cake and the EI is really easy to use. Just remember to put it in the freezer for about 20 to 30 seconds to make it release from the paper. It will go right on the cake with no trouble at all. If it makes you feel more comfortable, get two images. It may cost a little more, but in the end it is worth the time savings.

JGMB Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 4:04am
post #11 of 16

Okay, well, I made the cake icon_redface.gif . It turned out to be a crazy busy week, as a group of Guatemalan women who had been denied visas to visit our church in September suddenly got their visas on a moment's notice. So, I cleaned the house in a hurry, changed the beds, etc. because 2 of them are now staying at my house. Also, they speak no English, so I'm speaking Spanish to them -- I'm not fluent, so it's kind of a struggle!! Anyways, so I was then asked to not only make the book cake to celebrate our pastor but also another to celebrate these women, not to mention enough kitchen sheetcakes to feed 300!!!

Well, I did my best. The cake book is yucky looking -- I've had it with those rounded Wilton pans! I was in a hurry and neglected to trim it so it would have nice square corners. Then, I had tried to make a FBCT of the dove but it didn't work. So, I had to freehand the whole thing. Let's hope it tastes better than it looks!!

Edited to add: I just realized that it's not letting me upload the book cake photo for some reason -- maybe it's too ugly! LOL!! Anyway, it's in my gallery.

On a good note, though, I am REALLY enjoying my guests!!!!!! They couldn't be any more adorable. I'm happy that the cake I made for them turned out pretty well. It's supposed to look like the fabric that they make all of their crafts out of.

Sorry for the lo-o-o-ng post, but I'm wound up from all this activity. Tomorrow, I have to get my 2 new friends and all 5 of the cakes to the church by 7:45 a.m. Wish me luck!
LL

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 4:42am
post #12 of 16

By the tone of your post, I was expecting it to look shabby. The book cover cake looks great! You did a great job! I especially like the crown. thumbs_up.gif

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 5:35pm
post #13 of 16

Very cute cakes and very kind of you to do all this work for so many people - you're an awesome cake decorator and an awesome human beingicon_smile.gif

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 8:41pm
post #14 of 16

so kind of you to be a host, your cakes turned out wonderful and I am sure the church was so proud of you.

JGMB Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 10:49pm
post #15 of 16

Thank you all ~~ you're all so kind!!! That's why I LOVE CC!! I was very excited that the church people actually thought the cakes were pretty (note to self: NEVER let them see the awesome creations on this site!). More importantly, lots of people said that they were delicious. I was so, so happy that everything turned out okay. It was a VERY good day!!

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 5:02am
post #16 of 16

Congratulations on two great cakes! I love them both! The colors and design on the cake for your visitors is awesome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%