Real Life Nightmare

Lounge By ShelleyMJ Updated 3 Oct 2009 , 12:39pm by peg818

ShelleyMJ Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:41pm
post #1 of 17

So last night I am sound asleep when my cell phone rings. It is my daughter, Sam.

"Hey mom", she says. "I am getting married next week at your house. You can bake me a small cake for about 25 people." Oh and if you could, would you mind making me a couple bouquets?"

I reply, "Sure honey, I will be happy to. I love you, I will call you in the morning."

All the while my husband is listening to this converstaion.

My husband says I woke up about 15 minutes after the conversation with my daughter.

I was crying. I tell him about this dream I had.

His reply, "No honey, it wasn't a dream. You were just on the phone with her and yes, you are baking a cake and doing flowers for a wedding next Thursday night."

I love my daughter, I love my daughter.

Why can't I reach her on the phone this morning? OMG!

16 replies
JGMB Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:46pm
post #2 of 17

Congratulations to your family!!! If you like who she's chosen, this is a great thing . . . AND you get to make the special cake!

Texas_Rose Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:01pm
post #3 of 17

I agree, Congratulations!!!

Time to call a party rental place and get tables, chairs and tablecloths, and call your daughter back and see if she wants to feed everyone too.

But wow! Was she already engaged or seriously dating someone, or is this a whirlwind romance?

I would have thought it was a weird dream too.

ShelleyMJ Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:02pm
post #4 of 17

Thank you..

Yes, I am very pleased with the young man she has chosen.

Now I get to learn how to construct a wedding cake!

Please pray for me!

Texas_Rose Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:08pm
post #5 of 17

Don't worry, you'll do great!!! You've got all of us to talk you through it icon_biggrin.gif And it's probably nicer not having months to stress out over it.

-Tubbs Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:13pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Don't worry, you'll do great!!! You've got all of us to talk you through it icon_biggrin.gif And it's probably nicer not having months to stress out over it.

I was engaged and married within 6 weeks and we had a lovely wedding. Stress expands to fill the time available. Congratulations - You'll do great!

Texas_Rose Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:18pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbsCookies

Quote:

I was engaged and married within 6 weeks and we had a lovely wedding. Stress expands to fill the time available. Congratulations - You'll do great!

I had a spur of the moment wedding. We just woke up one day, decided we were getting married (good thing to decide if you're already waking up together icon_lol.gif ) and three days later, got married in a little chapel in a basement downtown. I wore a short black and white dress and DH wore jeans and biker boots. We took everyone out to a burger place afterwards. I didn't tell my mom until the day before I got married because I was afraid she'd try to have me committed or lock me up somewhere.

-Tubbs Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:45pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbsCookies

Quote:

I had a spur of the moment wedding. We just woke up one day, decided we were getting married (good thing to decide if you're already waking up together icon_lol.gif ) and three days later, got married in a little chapel in a basement downtown. I wore a short black and white dress and DH wore jeans and biker boots. We took everyone out to a burger place afterwards. I didn't tell my mom until the day before I got married because I was afraid she'd try to have me committed or lock me up somewhere.

That's cool! We actually had the whole she-bang - dress (which I made myself), caterer, photographer, cake etc. We had a garden party in my in-law's beautiful English garden which looked like they'd been planning the event for years! It was one of those events where the planets aligned - everyone said that it was one of the most fun and relaxed weddings they'd been to, and I'm sure it's because we didn't have time to sweat the small stuff.

ShelleyMJ Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 2:44pm
post #9 of 17

My husband and I got engaged Christmas day and 2 days later we were married at the courthouse.

ShelleyMJ Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 3:30pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:

I agree, Congratulations!!!

Time to call a party rental place and get tables, chairs and tablecloths, and call your daughter back and see if she wants to feed everyone too.

But wow! Was she already engaged or seriously dating someone, or is this a whirlwind romance?

I would have thought it was a weird dream too.

Thank you for the kind and reasurring words.

I am truly going nuts.

To answer, your question, She has been dating the same guy for about 3 yrs. They have discussed marriage with her father and I a couple of times but never really set a date. Next Thursday, Oct 8th is the date they started dating.

paulstonia Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 10:34pm
post #11 of 17

Congratulations! How sweet that that's the date they picked.

ladyellam Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:06am
post #12 of 17

We went out on ONE real date and got married in Vegas. We will be celebrating our 13th wedding anniversary on Oct 8th! Tell your daughter I hope she is as happy as I am (I still get giddy when he kisses me).

ShelleyMJ Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 9:05pm
post #13 of 17

Thank you all for the very kind words!

Since I last posted I have made the flower bouquets. Beautiful White and Pink roses with dew drops, babies breathe, and sheer ribbon bows. I have purchased the grecian pillars and separator plates for the cake which is 14, 10 and 6 and a beautiful topper. OH dear HELP I don't have a clue what I am doing.

She has decided she also wants me to play my keyboard. Lords Prayer and the keeper of the stars.

Please help!

-K8memphis Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 9:08pm
post #14 of 17

That's so sweet!

Idreamofcakes Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 9:31pm
post #15 of 17

Wow you are such a sweet mom to do this for her...to make it all come togther for your daughter! My mom is the same way!! I wish I lived closer I would offer to come help in any way I could. My mom and sis did all of my wedding planning and arrangements. I was very sick for a few months so they made it all happen for us. They had 2 months notice, after we had already dated for 4 years...that was 18 yrs ago!! It's amazing what moms won't do for their kids thumbs_up.gif

You have sure proven you are a great mom, she knew she could call you and ask...and that you would be right there to do it. I applaud you!

ShelleyMJ Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 10:32pm
post #16 of 17

[quote You have sure proven you are a great mom, she knew she could call you and ask...and that you would be right there to do it. I applaud you![/quote]

Thank you! WOW! You are so kind. Yes I would lay down my life for my children, as any mom would! This is alot of work right now but I know my reward will be in heaven.

I just want the day to be special considering they were originally talking about going to the couthouse and not really celebrate their special day.
I love my children as every mom does.

If anyone has any tips on how to assemble this 3 tier cake with pillars between each layer, I would be forever grateful.

Thank you all for all your support.

peg818 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 12:39pm
post #17 of 17

Congratulations and you will be fine

For the cake, i would recommend pushed in pillars. So what you do is just make three different size cakes, line up each plate (you will need 2 plate for the upper tiers and 8 pillars) with the cake below and mark with the feet then insert the pillars into those marks, the next tier sits on the plate with those pillars.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%