Using Glass Cake Plate

Decorating By sister340 Updated 1 Oct 2009 , 7:31pm by jammjenks

sister340 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sister340 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:24pm
post #1 of 6

I hope someone can tell me how much weight I can put on a glass cake plate. The wedding cake will be two double rounds. The cake plate is 13" wide. I'm thinking of baking two 13" rounds, 3" deep with filling and two 9" rounds, again with filling. That is going to be heavy and I wonder if the glass plate will hold it. It's one of the real typical glass plates that has the pedestal of glass below the plate. And usually comes with a cover, anchor hocking brand.

Will it hold this heavy cake?

thanks;
j.

5 replies
jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:39pm
post #2 of 6

it should... it would be really cheap if it didn't

nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:43pm
post #3 of 6

I don't know why it wouldn't, but I would have a back-up plan just in case. Be sure to put your base cake on a cake board and not directly on the glass so that you can change your base if needed.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 6

Well it depends. I always always use pedestal stands and I've never had anything tip over. I even made a 5 tier cake + topper on a pedestal stand.

sister340 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sister340 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 6

Ok, I'll go ahead with it. I'll use the cake board under lower cake and hope for the best! Thanks;
j.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 6

Maybe you could stack some encyclopedias or other heavy objects on it and just test it out. My daughter weighs about 55 lbs., so I'd maybe even let her try to stand on it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%