Crab Cake For 100?

Decorating By heddahope Updated 1 Oct 2009 , 8:36pm by heddahope

heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 5:39am
post #1 of 4

A friend asked if I could do a cake shaped like a crab for her dad's 50th but she needs it to feed 100. I am not sure what size cake to start with so after carving i would have enough cake to serve that many. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I was thinking of suggesting a stacked cake with a crab topper. She also wants it to be holding 2 flags 1. happy 50 2. new orleans saints. Any different ideas I could give her?

TIA

3 replies
SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 7:00am
post #2 of 4

The largest Wilton Oval pan (16½ x12 3/8 ) as a 2 layer cake will serve approx 70. That's a place to start. Add big claws, etc to add more servings.

You could start with a larger round cake and carve it to a more appropriate crab shape.

A 2 layer 12x18 half sheet cake will serve 108 as a starting point, but you'd lose some servings in carving the crab shape, which would end up very close to the oval pan shape and size anyway.

I am sure others will have good ideas, no doubt better than mine, as I am not a carved cake expert.

Good Luck! icon_smile.gif

cakediva01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakediva01 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 4

I like the idea of using the large oval pan for the initial crab. For the extra servings needed, I would considering making cupcakes topped with candy shells and/or sanding sugar to look like sand to surround it. Sounds like a fun project!

heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the ideas, I am going to see what she wants to do. It isn't until Nov. 14 (which is actually my bday) so I have plenty of time to figure out.

I think it will be lots of fun. I think everyone will love it even if it isn't perfect, because I am from southern Louisiana and almost everyone from where I live is a fishermen.
Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%