Help With Fondant? Please?

Decorating By RebeccaAnn Updated 1 Oct 2009 , 1:57pm by -Tubbs

RebeccaAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebeccaAnn Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:41am
post #1 of 12

Hi! i'm new to fondant, and i have used it to make some cakes - but for my next cake i want to cover the entire cake in fondant to make it crisp and clean. My problem is the fondant i have (plain white) tastes awful! Is there any way to flavor it?

P.S, I tried using vanilla extract but it made the fondant gooey icon_sad.gif

11 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:50am
post #2 of 12

Are you using the Wilton fondant? If so I don't think there is much you can do for the nasty taste. icon_biggrin.gif

You could always try making homemade like MFF or MMF (I personally prefer MFF more, especially when white chocolate is added to it).

If you want to go with commercially made fondant I'd just try them out until you find one you like. Here are just a few that I can think of off the top of my head:

Satin Ice
Chocopan
PettinIce
Fondarific
Fondx

I've only personally tried Satin Ice and I like it too. I know that Chocopan you can buy sample's (6 flavours 3 oz each) to try them out and it only costs $1 plus shipping. Check there website.

Hope that helps.

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:53am
post #3 of 12

MMf is very very easy to make, its jut some marshmallow and powdered sugar. The recipe is here on cc and you will love the taste. You can also add extract of your choice if you want to. Rolls out and covers very nicely also.

RebeccaAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebeccaAnn Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:54am
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

Are you using the Wilton fondant? If so I don't think there is much you can do for the nasty taste. icon_biggrin.gif

You could always try making homemade like MFF or MMF (I personally prefer MFF more, especially when white chocolate is added to it).

If you want to go with commercially made fondant I'd just try them out until you find one you like. Here are just a few that I can think of off the top of my head:

Chocopan
PettinIce
Fondarific
Fondx

I've only personally tried and I like it too. I know that Chocopan you can buy sample's (6 flavours 3 oz each) to try them out and it only costs $1 plus shipping. Check there website.

Hope that helps.

That helps so much! thank you very much icon_biggrin.gif I didn't even know you could make fondant! haha yes it is wilton! I will definetly check those out, thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

xstitcher Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 2:10am
post #5 of 12

Your welcome.

Here's a link that will be helpful if you decide to make MFF and in it you will see the link for the recipe. It has a list of FAQ's that Michele put together about her fondant:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-625727-mff.html+information

Here's a link of the various MMF recipes found on CC:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/search/mmf

BTW, welcome to CC!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 2:10am
post #6 of 12

I make only MMF now, but how do you add white chocolate to it? What do you do? When do you add it? Is it candy melts? Please tell me as I love MMF, but am always willing to improve taste. Thank you!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 2:13am
post #7 of 12

Here are my favorites taste wise (in order):

Chocopan
Fondx
Satin Ice Chocolate
Satin Ice Vanilla

If you want to do semi homemade, try Jennifer Dontz's recipe. It's on her DVD.

xstitcher Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 2:19am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickymacd

I make only MMF now, but how do you add white chocolate to it? What do you do? When do you add it? Is it candy melts? Please tell me as I love MMF, but am always willing to improve taste. Thank you!

I actually don't make MMF anymore since I discovered MFF (Michele Foster's Fondant) but I do believe you can add chocolate to MMF as well. Here's a recipe I just found on cc that adds chocolate to MMF:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2408/chocolate-marshmallow-fondant

If you were referring to Michele's fondant check out the link I added that about FAQ's on her fondant. Number 6 addresses the chocolate question and she also lets you know how/when to add it in her recipe as well.

Hope that helps. If you have any other questions or need some clarification let me know.

xstitcher Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 2:24am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaAnn

That helps so much! thank you very much icon_biggrin.gif I didn't even know you could make fondant! haha yes it is wilton! I will definetly check those out, thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

Also wanted to add that making either fondant is pretty easy and since you've already purchased pre-made fondant it should be even easier since you know what the consistency should be like (that is definitely the best thing about Wilton's fondant IMO). icon_lol.gif

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 2:36am
post #10 of 12

if you look for the cake in my photos with grandma and the two grand kids you'll see the "wooden floor" cake. its covered with marbled MMF marshmallow fondant.. with out the help of every one here and a nice easy recipe i couldn't have done it so easily icon_smile.gif

course i studied alot too that helped lol. just practice i promise it will start to click icon_smile.gif

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 11:13am
post #11 of 12

xstititcher~ thank you for the info!!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:57pm
post #12 of 12

Just be aware that MMF is not as stretchy as purchased fondant, so might be a bit trickier for your first-time cake. Some people also mix half and half, so you get the improved taste, plus the easier texture.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%