Man Oh Man, Had Abdomenal Ultrasound Today And Area Is Sore

Lounge By sweetcravings Updated 4 Oct 2009 , 11:53pm by seasonsmoke

sweetcravings Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:09am
post #1 of 11

Have you guys ever had an abdomenal ultrasound? I have in the past and never have i experience such pain as the one today. The technician pushed soooo hard on my abdomen i just about started to cry. icon_cry.gif She was so rough. I wouldn't be surprized if i have bruises tomorrow. The areas are so tender to touch right now even. I even told her how bad it was and she just continued on..ugh..I know i have extra fat in the tummy area but man oh man i've never experienced an ultrasound so intense before. Thank goodness that is over.

10 replies
SugarFrosted Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:22am
post #2 of 11

I had a colonoscopy yesterday...wanna trade? icon_biggrin.gif

An ice pack might help now, and after 24 hours, try heat.

sweetcravings Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:27am
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

I had a colonoscopy yesterday...wanna trade? icon_biggrin.gif

An ice pack might help now, and after 24 hours, try heat.

Ohhhh so sorry to hear you had that yesterday. Nope wouldn't want to switch. I had one of those a few years back and lets just say they didn't give me enough sedation. I felt just about everything, and actually woke and was screaming, watching my colon on the screen. Horrible experience. I hope you awoke and remembered nothing at all. That's the way it should be.
I also had a scope put down my throat too...that was wicked too..

I've been sufferring with Ibs for years and have had sooo many unpleasent tests over the years. I guess i shouldn't complain about the ultrasound, it's mickey mouse compared to the others. thumbs_up.gif
I may just take some motrin tonight, my sides, under my ribs hurt sooo much.
I hope your colonoscopy results are all fine.

SugarFrosted Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 2:24am
post #4 of 11

I was an ER/oncology nurse in a previous life. For weeks I had been dreading this procedure...fear of the unknown, I suppose. Like you, I have IBS, but had successfully avoided having a colonosopy before. The prep the night before was ghastly...such vile tasting stuff. So I assumed the procedure would be ghastly too. However, the day before, a friend sent me this to read.
http://www.miamiherald.com/418/story/427603.html
I laughed so hard it really lifted my spirits.

When I got to the clinic, I talked with the nurses for a few minutes and then the Dr came in and we laughed about that Dave Barry article (see link above). She injected a little valium into my IV to relax me, but that was all. When we got started, she explained everything we were looking at. I was awake the whole time and I watched the whole procedure. It was very cool. I was scared for nothing. No pain really. And no problems.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. One bad situation can scar you for life in a lot of cases. Your story reminded me of when I had a c-section when my son was born, my epidural wore off half way thru. Terrifying and excruciating. I never had another child. I suspect others have similar tales to tell. I'd like to read about them.

prterrell Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 2:54am
post #5 of 11

Ooo. Sorry! I've had 2 abdominal ultrasounds. The first was uncomfortable. The 2nd, when I had my ovarian tumor, was very uncomfortable. I have LOTS of extra padding, but I've never had the tech push so hard that it hurt and bruised. Sorry you got stuck w/ someone with poor bedside manner. HUGS

Texas_Rose Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 3:00am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. One bad situation can scar you for life in a lot of cases. Your story reminded me of when I had a c-section when my son was born, my epidural wore off half way thru. Terrifying and excruciating. I never had another child. I suspect others have similar tales to tell. I'd like to read about them.

That happened to me too. When I had my first baby, I had a spinal rather than an epidural, and got that horrible headache. So when I had my second, they decided to go with an epidural instead and it wore off partway through. She increased the dosage immediately but I was freaking out for the rest of the procedure...blood pressure going crazy...and while the doc finished up, she was hugging one side of me and petting my face and my husband was hugging the other side, trying to calm me down I guess.

But you know what? I broke my leg earlier this year and they wouldn't fix it because I didn't have health insurance (had to quit paying for it so we could afford food). So they put an ace bandage on my leg, with a hardened strip at the back, and sent me home with my broken bones grating together every time I moved and a prescription for ibuprofen. And that was a lot worse than having the epidural wear off, a lot, lot, lot worse. When I was sleeping, I was beating the bed (and DH) because I thought the bed was on fire and I was trying to put it out, but it was the pain from my leg, and when I was awake, I was screaming every time I moved. I had surgery about a week later once I'd gotten on the county health plan, but I just remember thinking that I thought people were supposed to faint from extreme pain and wishing I would.

About the original question and the ultrasound, the only time I've had them was when I was pregnant...and once they were pushing too hard and I told them, "If you keep pushing that hard I am going to pee this bed," and they stopped fast.

ShelleyMJ Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:28pm
post #7 of 11

Sorry you are so sore. I have had the ultrasounds and I hurt like crazy. I have also had the colonoscopy and the scope down the troat. Thank God I finally found a very good team of doctors and the misdiagnosis of IBS was finally corrected after 5 yrs of terrible pain.

2 years ago (Sept 21st) I underwent a double mesenteric bypass. I had severe mesenteric escemia and nearly didn't make it.

My case is rare and is recorded in the medical journals. 43 yr old white woman with no history of vascular disease or heart problems. All I had were the common symptoms of IBS and severe pain within 30 minutes of eating.

Take care of yourself and don't take just one medical opinion.

sweetcravings Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:06pm
post #8 of 11

Morning everyone,

Well, no bruising noted today but certain areas are still pretty tender.

I had a bad experience with the birth of my son too...gave me epidural..didn't work...tried giving me more and more meds..didn't work...nurses jumping on my tummy to get baby out....me screaming in agony..they just about had to put me out for the whole thing. I had nightmares for weeks after his birth about the whole thing. It was tramatic. Then when we tried to conceive again i had a miscarrage. Tried again..miscarrage...We decided enough was enough and we were blessed to have one child. The trama and emotion that goes into each thing was horrible.

Anna...great article. I just wish mine had been so positive. I just remember the doctor advancing the tube..me screaming..advancing, putting in air...me screaming. Apparently they gave me lots of sedation but it just wasn't doing the trick. Next time, if there is a next time...i'm asking for the motherload of drugs for it. I'm sure i will be wicked worried but i guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

Texas...I'll have to remember that next time.lol Although for this abd ultrasound i didn't need to have a full bladder. Maybe i will just say, "if you keep pushing that hard i'm gonna 'throw up' on your table from all the pain." lol

Wow, Shelley. I'm glad they figured out what was going on. Pretty scarey stuff. So many things can have similar symptoms as IBS, so it's good they were on top of things.

Suzanne

ShelleyMJ Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:15pm
post #9 of 11

Glad to know you are not bruised this morning. Take care of you and my thoughts and prayers are with you.

-Tubbs Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:20pm
post #10 of 11

Hope you're feeling better today Suzanne. Amazing how something done on the 'outside' can make you so sore inside.

Since we're sharing birth stories, I'll just say that if my third had been my first, my first would have been my only. Does that make sense?!

I also had a colonoscopy recently. The prep was the worst part - I lost 7lbs - all fluids I guess! I do recall feeling pain during the procedure, but I have to say, it was amazingly efficient. I was there at 8.30am, and home again by 11am. I think it's normal to be a little bruised the next day.

seasonsmoke Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 11:53pm
post #11 of 11

I'm sorry you had such a rough ultrasound. I'm glad you are feeling better now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%