Spotting Spoof E-Mails, Phishers, And Scams

Lounge By __Jamie__ Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 11:57pm by Deb_

__Jamie__ Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 2

I put together a couple of sites to check out for those who may not know whether or not an e-mail they receive is legit, or if you think that Alex dude is serious about ordering an $8,000 cake from you and letting you keep the change from the $10,000 bill he is mailing you tonight. icon_cool.gif

All sarcasm aside, it breaks my heart to see people fret and worry, or worse, fall for scams and phishers. I'm not the biggest expert in the world on stuff like this, but sometimes it's a simple act of taking a few key words or phrases from a suspicious email, entering it into Google, and see what pops up. Nine times out of ten, if it smells funny, it's probably halibut. icon_biggrin.gif

A test to see if you can recognize a spoofed e-mail address or people phishing for your SS number, bank number, credit card number, etc. This is awesome! Look how convincing they are.

Various web sites who keep track of, update, modify and generally inform everyone of the latest hoax emails, variants of "oldies but goodies", and the history behind them:

1 reply
Deb_ Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 2

Cool! Thanks so much Jamie.

Quote by @%username% on %date%