My Cake Broke - Help

Decorating By robinleah Updated 1 Oct 2009 , 6:00pm by robinleah

robinleah Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 6

so I premade a 12 inch choclate wasc for friday. I now have to start putting it together. but they both have split down the middle around where the baking core had been. One of the halves even split in two.
This cake was to be the second from the bottem tier in 4 tier anniversary cake. I am serious having doubts as to whether it could support the top 2 even with my supports and dowel.

anyone ever have this happen. Did you use it or bake again. If i stay home from work on friday, i could make it by the deadline to get it to the hall and get it stacked. I hope.
I just hope the 16 inches are ok, or i could be a little doomed.

5 replies
Deb_ Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:11am
post #2 of 6

Can you put it together with icing? Is this for a paid order or family? If it were me I'd probably keep this one for home and re-bake just to be sure.

Loucinda Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:05pm
post #3 of 6

You should not use a baking core for a 12" cake, there is not enough cake there to warrant it's use. (which is probably why it split in half) If you think you need to, just use a flower nail as a core. For that size pan, I don't use any "core" - I just bake it at 325 until it is done.

If they were just split in half, I would use them. I would make some cake spackling (cake crumbs and icing mixed together) and glue the parts back together. Your supports are what will hold the cake up.

BUT with the cake itself in several pieces because of the core, I think I would rebake that one. (and don't use that big "core" in it)

Good luck!

robinleah Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:31pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

You should not use a baking core for a 12" cake, there is not enough cake there to warrant it's use. (which is probably why it split in half) If you think you need to, just use a flower nail as a core. For that size pan, I don't use any "core" - I just bake it at 325 until it is done.

If they were just split in half, I would use them. I would make some cake spackling (cake crumbs and icing mixed together) and glue the parts back together. Your supports are what will hold the cake up.

BUT with the cake itself in several pieces because of the core, I think I would rebake that one. (and don't use that big "core" in it)

Good luck!

Man, I know that now. My only saving grace is that it is for family. I am going to decorate and leave in the hall kitchen as extra cake. The overall design wont be affected much if I take this one out.

If it were not family, I would be baking forsure. Thanks for the responses. Once the panic was over, I could think more clearly. Thanks again.

majka_ze Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:59pm
post #5 of 6

You don't need necessarily to leave it out. Glue it simple back together with your icing. I understand that you have 3 parts of cake and this is no problem. Simply glue it together, cool it overnight if you have the time - the icing will harden and it will be more stable than a cake itself. After this, put the dowels in the cake - the only problem is to dowel this patchwork cake and not to split it more and here helps refrigeration. After the dowels are in, nothing more will happen.
Imagine all the cakes which are made from pieces intentionally.

But the decision is yours - do what you are comfortable with.

Good luck!

robinleah Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 6:00pm
post #6 of 6

Not knowing I could have glued the piecs together, I fit it best i could then iced. Knowing it would be unstable, I took it out of the main cake. Nest time if it happens, Ill know what to do. Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%