Fondant And Rtk Question, Help Please!

Decorating By Deannamac Updated 2 Oct 2009 , 2:27pm by CakeMommyTX

Deannamac Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 12

I am making a calculator cake out of rice krispies for a client. I have no choice but to make it the night before she wants to pick it up due to my other job. My question is; if i make the rtk cake and cover it in fondant the nite before, will it stay fresh until the following nite??

I dont want to give her a stale rtk cake with dried up fondant....

Thank you!

11 replies
Rylan Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 12

Of course. Many people have a decorating process of 2 days.

Deannamac Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 12

thanks for the reply rylan, since this rtk calculator isnt just for show...what would be the best choice to cover the rtk in so the fondant will stick? ive read buttercream icing, i just wonder if that will taste good on top of rtk...

any thoughts?

tonimarie Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 10:36pm
post #4 of 12

I always use buttercream over the top of rice krispies when I use them, I guess I never thought about how it tasted, but I've never had anyone complain!

Rylan Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 10:43pm
post #5 of 12

No problem =]

You can use ganache or buttercream under fondant--that will help things smoothen out. I prefer to use two layers of fondant. I just rub shortening all over the RKT and lay my first piece of fondant. I then lay a second piece to get a smoother finish.

CakeMommyTX Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 11:20pm
post #6 of 12

I coat my RKT with white chocolate, it holds the shape and helps smooth out any bumps.

jlynnw Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 11:23pm
post #7 of 12

I like using a firmer ganache. Who doesn't like chocolate and RKT?

tonimarie Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:53am
post #8 of 12

never thought about melted chocolate, I'm gonna try that tomorrow, I'll bet it would make it a lot easier to get rid of the little sharp pokies from the rice krispies. Thanks for the idea!

Deannamac Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 2:38pm
post #9 of 12

wow, great ideas, thanks everyone.

Kay_NL Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 3:07pm
post #10 of 12

Just make sure the melted chocolate doesn't alter the shape of the RKT cake!

I attempted to make rkt egg shapes one time, I dipped them in melted chocolate, not even considering the fact that this would make the marshmallows melt again, it was a disaster!! lol! Ganache is easier as you can pour and/or spread it when it is no longer hot. icon_smile.gif

terrijproductions Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 3:19pm
post #11 of 12

I was just coming onto the forum to ask the very same questions that have been answered in this post! Thanks for asking the question Deannamac. icon_smile.gif

CakeMommyTX Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:27pm
post #12 of 12

If you let the chocolate sit for a few minutes and cool down it won't warm up the marshmallows and change the shape.
I also don't dip the RKT I give it a chocolate rub down with my hands, messy but very effective.
And since chocolate self levels it fills in all the cracks and bumps and leaves you with a smooth surface.
When you need to cover in fondant you don't need to add anything to make it stick, just use the warmth in your hands when your smoothing the fondant , it will melt the chocolate just enough for the fondant to stick.

Quote by @%username% on %date%