Wizard Of Oz Copyrights ...

Decorating By chef_greeley Updated 1 Oct 2009 , 1:05am by DefyGravity

chef_greeley Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 4

Does anyone know if there are any copyright issues with making a cake with the Wizard of OZ theme?. I want to do it for a cake competition but I am getting mixed information about it. I have read that the copyrights expired a while back but can anyone confirm this? Thanks in advanced.

3 replies
superwawa Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 9:38pm
post #2 of 4

It's a mixed bag because the characters were from all different books; Did you come across this site in your searches? http://thewizardofoz.info

I have no idea when this was posted, but in the FAQs I saw it really depends on the book:

2.13. Are the Oz books still under copyright?
Some of them are and some aren't. As of this writing, the following Oz books have entered public domain in the United States: All of the titles written by Baum, The Royal Book of Oz, Kabumpo in Oz, The Wishing Horse of Oz, Captain Salt in Oz, Handy Mandy in Oz, The Silver Princess in Oz, Ozoplaning with the Wizard of Oz, The Magical Mimics in Oz, and The Shaggy Man of Oz. The original illustrations in those books are also public domain. All other Oz books are still under copyright, and due to a copyright extension passed by the United States Congress in 1998, it looks like they will be for some time. (In case you were wondering, the later Thompson books and those by Snow are public domain because, at the time, copyrights were good for twenty-eight years, then a further twenty-eight if the copyright was renewed -- and the copyrights were not renewed on those books.) Outside of these public domain books, the copyrights on both the story and the illustrations are held by the individual writers of the books, or their estates. The rights on the Thompson books still under copyright are now administered by the Baum Trust. Information about current United States copyright law and what is and isn't public domain can be found at http://www.copyright.cornell.edu/training/Hirtle_Public_Domain.htm. Those wondering about copyright laws in other countries and how they affect Oz books should consult a local copyright lawyer or government copyright office. Several WWW sites dealing with American and British copyright can be found at http://thewizardofoz.info/links.html#writing

dandelion56602 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 4

Wish I could answer your question. With the 70th anniversary I would think it would still be legit, but don't know how long they last. I also wish I knew "what" is under copyright. Is the yellowbrick road, ruby slippers, Emerald City, just the characters, etc? Sugarshack has a cute WOZ cake & I'm sure you could do a very cute version w/out having the characters all over it.

DefyGravity Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:05am
post #4 of 4

I did a Wicked cake (in my photos) for my Course 3 finale. Its more Oz-ish than Wicked-ish. I copied the logo, which I wouldn't have done if I was selling it, but aside from that I don't think there's anything illegal about having done it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%