Help With Roses!

Decorating By zak61107 Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 9:06pm by mgwebb68

zak61107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zak61107 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 4

Hi All,

I'm trying to conquer my roses. My BC is 1/2 crisco, 1/2 butter. My problem is that when I'm piping it on the nail, it always wants to slide off the nail head. I'm using a medium consistency, as the stiff consistency is hard on my hand.

Any ideas?

Is this a coming problem?

Chris

3 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 4

What helps me is to pipe the centers on squares of waxed paper and put them in the freezer until firm, then stick the square of paper on the nail (use a dab of BC) and pipe the flower.

cakeroach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeroach Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 4

Texas Rose
Why do you go through the extra step of making the center on wax paper first? It seems like an added step. I just make my center with whatever rose tip i am using, make the rose petals, and take it off with a pair of normal scissors and put it right on the cake. One tip, and about 1 second to make each flower.

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 9:06pm
post #4 of 4

Trust TexasRose! I was having a battle with them until I tried what she is saying. Yes, it's an extra step, but, if your center is droopy, then your rose is going to be droopy. And if you have heater hands like me, you need some extra insurance against droopy roses. I also found that when I used a stiffer buttercream I got even better roses.

When I did it the way she says and firmed up my buttercream a little, I can now make a rose.

By the way - Thank you TexasRose!!!! I can now make a rose. Haven't put one on a cake since I figured it out, but dang it, I conqured the rose.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%