Raspberry Smbc Looks Curdled

Decorating By -Tubbs Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 8:46pm by -Tubbs

-Tubbs Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 6

I just made a 5 egg white batch of SMBC, and added 1 pint of sieved raspberries (it wasn't a pint - it was the amount of puree minus the pips and whatever else wouldn't go through the sieve).

Anyway, I mixed and mixed, and it wouldn't mix in properly, and now looks curdled and separated. Is this wrecked or can I do anything to save it? It's for a wedding cake, so I can't risk it doing anything nasty to the cake.

Thanks, Natalie.

5 replies
kkitchen Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 6

Did you beaut it enough? Normally when you add it and beat it just a bit, it seem to look curdled - but, if you allow it to beat more it will mend back together.

-Tubbs Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 8:01pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for your quick answer. I did beat it for about 10 minutes. I wondered if it might have got too cold - do you think it might help to warm it slightly over a pan of water then beat again?

sara91 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 6

Too much liquid or raspberries will cause buttercream to split. It sounds like it is too much for the amount of buttercream. Our bakery used raspberry liquor to flavour it.

I think you would be better suited to put that kind of stuff into the filling such as a curd or pastry creme not in the buttercream, or add only a small amount.

dynee Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 8:21pm
post #5 of 6

I had the same thing happen when I mixed in my homemade sugarless strawberry jam. Only I had used 1/2 the pint jar. It was fine after I beat it some more. If you need more than that batch, you could make another batch and mix that half and half. That would be the same poportions as my strawberry. It did seperate again after I had put it in the fridge, but was fine after I let it go to room temp. and beat it again. By the way it was to die for. Tasted like really good strawberry ice cream.

-Tubbs Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 8:46pm
post #6 of 6

Ok, thanks all, crisis over!

I did what I said above - heated it for a few mins over simmering water then beat it into submission, and it's now fabulously homogenized and creamy!

Thanks for your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%