Help With Filling Please!!!

Decorating By forheavenscake Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 8:16pm by grandmom

forheavenscake Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:20pm
post #1 of 5

I am going to be doing my first cake with filling and I am so nervous. .I've heard such horrible things about it settling etc and teh fondant looking icky. . .

Please send tips my way on how to avoid this problem and the best way to execute. . I am already planning on making the cake the night before so it can sit all night long and settle before placing the fondant on.

Also. .anyone know a good strawberry filling recipe?

4 replies
jrkrayenhagen Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:32pm
post #2 of 5

I think a strong border is key to keeping your filling from leaking. Take some of your frosting and pipe a ring around the edge of your torted cake and then place the filling in the middle of that circle.

grandmom Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 5

Two things of utmost importance:

Build an icing dam around the perimeter of the layers, using very thick buttercream. The BC should be thick enough to form into a ball. You can pipe it through a bag with just a coupler or a very large round tip. The dam should be at least finger sized in thickness.

Once you add the filling inside the dam, and then the layer atop it, press down gently but firmly. Some even weigh the cake on top with a ceramic tile or other flat object and leave it for several hours. This compresses the cake, expelling air and distributing the fillings evenly. After pressing and/or resting the cake, run your spatula along the sides of the cake to remove any bulging or excess. If there is an indention between the layers, be sure to fill in with icing, then smooth the sides again.

Good luck.

forheavenscake Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 5

THank you!

So while letting it rest should I go ahead and crumb coat it and then let it sit. . or should I not do anything until it has rested and then crumb coat it?? and if I don't crumb coat it how do I keep it fresh and from not drying out in the fridge??

grandmom Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 5

I'm sure folks do it either way, but I wrap in plastic wrap while it rests, then crumbcoat later. And I only refrigerate if the filling is perishable, and I do everything in my power to avoid a perishable filling, but that's another episode...

Quote by @%username% on %date%