Injured Myself ... Hope I Can Finish My Cake

Decorating By CutiePieCakes-Ontario Updated 1 Oct 2009 , 3:42pm by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 6

Today, I baked the cakes I need for a carved martini glass cake I need for Friday. Just as I was putting the pans into the oven, the rib(s) near my right shoulder blade 'popped'. This hasn't happened for some time, but what it does is hurt like h@ll, and makes it hard to breath, because the ribs are pushing into my lung.

Typing isn't a problem, because I'm reaching forward. It's when I settle back or try to reach up (or bend over to tie my shoes) that is hurts.

DH is taking me to the chiropracter when he gets home, but in the meantime, I'm hoping I'll be able to finish the cake. Rolling the fondant will be the challenge tomorrow.

Wish me luck!

5 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:00pm
post #2 of 6

Ugh! I'm so sorry!

I wish I was close so I could help you.

Meanwhile, if the chiro tells you to take it easy, DH may have fondant rolling duty ahead of him. icon_smile.gif Otherwise, in this particular case, it IS 'just cake'. Don't mess with your health over it. It's not like you're building pacemakers, KWIM? icon_smile.gif

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:08am
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the offer to help.

Chiro treatment was painful, but helpful. I've been seeing him since I was pregs with Kyle (over 9 years) for one thing or another. Still a bit hard to breath and coughing hurts, but he said it should be fine by morning.

But if not, then DH will definitely learn how to roll fondant tomorrow! icon_wink.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:11am
post #4 of 6

Oo, oo, oo! That sounds nasty. Please take care of yourself. I agree with DianeLM, in this instance it os just cake. I've been meaning to show my husband some decor tips, I think you've motivated me to get that going. Right now he's just "lift" labor! icon_biggrin.gif

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:57am
post #5 of 6

this has happened to me before. i usually just ride it out. it's AWFUL! it usually lasts a few days without treatment. pain. ful.

i'm glad the chiro helped you!

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 6

Mine is so bad that I can't breath at all without pain. The rib is actually pushing into my lung at my shoulder blade (at least, that's where the pain stems from). I can't sit up, I can't recline, I certainly can't lay down. It's not a muscle thing, so I can't take painkillers. The rib has to be put back into place by a chiro ... it won't fix itself and will only get worse.

I had it happen one morning just as I was waking up. I couldn't get out of bed or call for help (couldn't breath). It took me over 5 minutes to manouver myself into a position where I could get up. And it was a holiday, so my chiro wasn't in, and you can't go to emerg, since they don't keep chiros on call. I had to find one that was open and he did an emergency treatment.

Even now, the next day, I'm having trouble breathing deeply. Doing things in stages with breaks inbetween, so I can manage to carve, and crumb coat, but DH has already called to tell me that he'll roll the fondant for me tonight. Luckily, it's not a complicated cake, so I'll get it done tonight. I'll post a pic over the weekend.

Ironically, this cake is for my massage therapist, who works out of my chiro's office! The receptionist said I should include the charge for the Chiro appt. to her! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%