Customer's Idea Is A Train Wreck?

Decorating By cakedesigner59 Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 7:43pm by cakedesigner59

cakedesigner59 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 5

I don't know what to do. I have a customer who is turning 40 and wants a two tiered square cake, with each side representing a different aspect of her life. She wants (get this): Peacocks on one side, Palm trees on another, her son's monogram and "colors" (blue/green) on another and polka dots (to represent her aunt) on another. She only needs it to serve 40. I told her an 10-6 would serve around 50 but would be rather small. If she gets it on the small side, people will be able to see more than one side (theme) of the cake at a time. I told her my next size up would be 12-8 and would serve (depending on who cuts it) 80.

She also fainted when I told her I would charge her $2.50 per slice ("that's ridiculous, no offense").

My questions are, does anyone have any idea how to make what seems to me to be a train wreck of an idea work? Sorry this is so long.

4 replies
indydebi Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 5

A 6/10 square serves 18/50 = 68 servings. An 8/12 serves 32/72 = 104.

Get the pricing resolved FIRST.

But I can envision those designs on the side of the cake. They don't have to be huge. The monogram and the colored dots are super easy. I have a palm tree cookie cutter and I'd make a couple of palm tree cookies and attach them to one side. The peacock feathers ... you're on your own there! icon_eek.gif

DianeLM Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 5

On the plus side, all the themes can follow a similar color scheme of blue and green.

At least she didn't want you to incorporate all of it together!

It may look like a cornucopia of crap to you, but if that's what she wants, well, it doesn't have to go into your portfolio. icon_smile.gif

matthewkyrankelly Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:09pm
post #4 of 5

I don't see a problem with this at all. Whatever she wants within the laws of physics, and your ability, and her ability to pay. So it challenges your creative muscle a little..

cakedesigner59 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

A 6/10 square serves 18/50 = 68 servings. An 8/12 serves 32/72 = 104.

Get the pricing resolved FIRST.

I used Earlene's chart to come up with those figures....
if she fainted at the prices I already gave her, she'll run for sure if I suddenly "up" them. Maybe that's not a bad thing. I'm drawing a blank on how to do the peacock thing. At least she dropped the "hippy" side of the cake, and the side where I was supposed to represent her as an older mother....???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%