Is It Truely Accurate?

Decorating By oohrahwifey04 Updated 1 Oct 2009 , 2:01am by costumeczar

oohrahwifey04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oohrahwifey04 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 9

I was just looking at the wilton cake serving chart. Will an 8" double layer square cake really provide enough for 32? I need something to feed 16 and was thinking the 8" would be too small. Any suggestions?

8 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 9

You can cut 32 1x2x4(height) slices out of an 8" square cake. That's the standard serving size...if you're going to cut 16 slices then you could cut them 2x2x4 which is a pretty big chunk of cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 9

Yes.

A standard piece of cake is 1x2x4. Your cake is 4" tall. Cut a strip of cake 2" wide. Then cut that strip into 1" pieces. So on an 8" cake, you'd cut 4 rows (8" side cut in 2" strips = 4 strips) by 8 columns (8" side cut in 1" pieces = 8 columns)= 32 pieces.

No, one inch is NOT paper-thin, like most people think. It's about the size of a peanut butter sandwich. Not to be confused with the big 'ole honkin' piece of cake we tend to eat in front of the TV at night, in the dark, all alone, when all the calories are gone! icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

Here's a picturial on how to cut cakes. Same method for round or square cakes: http://www.cateritsimple.com/id10.html

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Yes.

A standard piece of cake is 1x2x4. Your cake is 4" tall. Cut a strip of cake 2" wide. Then cut that strip into 1" pieces. So on an 8" cake, you'd cut 4 rows (8" side cut in 2" strips = 4 strips) by 8 columns (8" side cut in 1" pieces = 8 columns)= 32 pieces.

No, one inch is NOT paper-thin, like most people think. It's about the size of a peanut butter sandwich. Not to be confused with the big 'ole honkin' piece of cake we tend to eat in front of the TV at night, in the dark, all alone, when all the calories are gone! icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

Here's a picturial on how to cut cakes. Same method for round or square cakes: http://www.cateritsimple.com/id10.html

Have you been watching me at night? Better close my blinds a bit tighter. icon_wink.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:43pm
post #5 of 9

Yes.

oohrahwifey04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oohrahwifey04 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:29pm
post #6 of 9

okay makes sense. thanks everyone!

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:10am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Yes.

icon_surprised.gificon_wink.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:45am
post #8 of 9

icon_biggrin.gif Really! I cut and served from a 10" just this past weekend at my tasting event. As usual, at least one hefty forkful left behind from each taster. Men, women, (one laaaaaarge dude even)...makes no difference.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 2:01am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Not to be confused with the big 'ole honkin' piece of cake we tend to eat in front of the TV at night, in the dark, all alone, when all the calories are gone! icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

But if you cut the cake, don't the calories all spill out and leave it empty of any fattening residue?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%