Cake Boss Tv Show Fondant ?

Decorating By bethie713 Updated 3 Oct 2009 , 7:21am by fondantgrl

bethie713 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethie713 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 30

I was watching the Cake Boss last night for the first time and I LOVE it!!! I noticed after he would finish a fondant cake that he used a device that looks like he blows steam on the fondant. I have never seen anyone do this before. Does anyone know why he does this process to the fondant?

29 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 30

There are two reasons why he uses them. For the fondant accents to stick and to make it have a shine.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 30

He uses a steamer. In fashion and home dec, these are used to steam items that cannot be ironed- draperies, wedding dresses, etc. I got one for my daughter's wedding at Wally World. I have not tried it for cakes yet.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 30

The steamer makes the fondant have a patent leather gleam and look. =o) Very nice and shiny!

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:53am
post #5 of 30

I LOVE mine...both on my clothes and on fondant/gumpaste... icon_biggrin.gif

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:21am
post #6 of 30

I thought one did not want a shinny fondant cake. That's why you avoid puttting a fondant cake in the fridge or freezer. icon_confused.gif When the cake comes to room temp it makes the fondant sweat and get shinny. I thought people have tried to avoid this! I can see how it would make fondant pieces stick though.

beehivebaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beehivebaby Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:21am
post #7 of 30

Hi all!! did you guys see the one with the bridezilla girl that came into his shop and said the cake was ugly and then proceeded to ruin it while the guy was in the back?? I was just wondering how many of you out there thinks that was all fake?? I just can't imagine if someone actually came into my business and destroyed something that I spend hours upon hours making, that I would just stand there so patiently...I just had a hard time with believing that and then he even made her a new cake!!!!

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:25am
post #8 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobean

I thought one did not want a shinny fondant cake. That's why you avoid puttting a fondant cake in the fridge or freezer. icon_confused.gif When the cake comes to room temp it makes the fondant sweat and get shinny. I thought people have tried to avoid this! I can see how it would make fondant pieces stick though.

Actually, steam works great on gumpaste flower, figurines, etc. It just depends on what you are doing... icon_smile.gif

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:37am
post #9 of 30

...well sometimes he is steaming the fondant covering the cake when he is all done. That seems weird to me. That would make it kind of sticky to. icon_confused.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:38am
post #10 of 30

Nicholas Lodge also steams his gumpaste flowers to give them a more realistic finish.

my_4_dumplins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my_4_dumplins Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:42am
post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by beehivebaby

Hi all!! did you guys see the one with the bridezilla girl that came into his shop and said the cake was ugly and then proceeded to ruin it while the guy was in the back?? I was just wondering how many of you out there thinks that was all fake?? I just can't imagine if someone actually came into my business and destroyed something that I spend hours upon hours making, that I would just stand there so patiently...I just had a hard time with believing that and then he even made her a new cake!!!!

I thought the exact same thing when I watched that one! Then on one after that the delivery boy "accidentally" dropped a huge cake on the stairs ( I saw him raise his hands so it would flip) and they had to rush to make another one. I know they didn't want to make a show that was just decorating cakes, and that they wanted to add some excitement to it so people will keep watching, but they shouldn't go so over the top! Everyone knows that if a stranger came into their shop and started destroying hours of hard work that the police would be involved for sure!

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:51am
post #12 of 30

I steam all of my cakes, it sets everything and gives it a nice sheen. It is wet when you first steam but as it dries it just sets everything up. I quickly steam the cake all around as not to overwet it and I love the look. It also helps when there is some cornstarch or ps on dark colored fondant.

colombean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colombean Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 3:27am
post #13 of 30
Quote:

I'm pretty sure I would have smiled and said, sure no problem... then proceeded to deliver her that same cake... b*&^h

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 3:48am
post #14 of 30

That bride looks like she has some mental disorder.. I feel sorry for the person that actually wants to marry that "thing'.. DID YOU SEE SHE came into the room on a broom stick ?? icon_razz.gif Can't wait to see her on divorce court.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 4:59am
post #15 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by colombean

Quote:

I'm pretty sure I would have smiled and said, sure no problem... then proceeded to deliver her that same cake... b*&^h

I would probably have hit her!

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 5:23am
post #16 of 30

The bride wrote on her facebook profile that of course it was fake.
I love this show, but it has sooo many fake moments, and it really don't need them.
And I also think it's a little bit to corny to end every show with a family scene.
But the cakes are Great, and you learn something new in every show.

beehivebaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beehivebaby Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 5:43am
post #17 of 30

I like ace of cakes..I don't think anything is fake on that one...and I love duff!!! lol....

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 6:16am
post #18 of 30

i didn't know she had a facebook would have been interesting to see that one. I wish i got the channel Ace of Cake showed on but i don't get the food network channel which is what its on where i live icon_sad.gif

GenGen Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 6:17am
post #19 of 30

semi off topic.. does anyone know what kind of fondant Buddy uses on CBicon_confused.gif or the recipe (i so envy that sheeter!)

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 8:40am
post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenGen

semi off topic.. does anyone know what kind of fondant Buddy uses on CBicon_confused.gif or the recipe (i so envy that sheeter!)

I suspect it is Satin Ice as he has a tutorial on that website:
http://www.rolledfondant.com/how.htm

Lots of other great cakers have tutorials there too

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 9:01am
post #21 of 30

Yes, Anna is correct. He uses Satin Ice most of the time.

unicorn13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unicorn13 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 9:51am
post #22 of 30

We don't get cake boss show over here in the UK. We do get Ace of Cakes love it. Thats how i found this web site got it off the Ace of cakes site.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 6:04pm
post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorn13

We don't get show over here in the UK. We do get Ace of Cakes love it. Thats how i found this web site got it off the Ace of cakes site.

Welcome to CakeCentral icon_biggrin.gif
You are going to LOVE it here!

Did you know you can watch videos of Cake Boss on your PC?
http://tlc.discovery.com/videos/cake-boss/

unicorn13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unicorn13 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 6:44pm
post #24 of 30

Thanks for the welcome and the link icon_biggrin.gif

GenGen Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 7:42pm
post #25 of 30

ah thanks. i think i recall seeing satin ice buckets around on his show.

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 8:14pm
post #26 of 30

I like buddy... but TLC fakes so much crap.

I basically fast forward to the cake stuff.

GenGen Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 8:35pm
post #27 of 30

very nice tutorials on that link! wish they'd nix the music or turn it down though. awfully hard to hear the folks speak! icon_smile.gif

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:04am
post #28 of 30
Quote:

I like ace of cakes..I don't think anything is fake on that one...and I love duff!!! lol....

ahahahahahhahahaha

LOL.

All reality is "encouraged" by the producers, whether it be in pre production or post.... like through editing.

Though I admit, it is not bad as Cake Boss.

Do you think it is a coincidence that 18 kids and counting went to Klienfelds in NY for wedding dresses, or that Duff made a cake for Carnival Cruise, which also had a food network challenge?

robinleah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinleah Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:51pm
post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by my_4_dumplins

Quote:

I thought the exact same thing when I watched that one! Then on one after that the delivery boy "accidentally" dropped a huge cake on the stairs ( I saw him raise his hands so it would flip) and they had to rush to make another one. I know they didn't want to make a show that was just decorating cakes, and that they wanted to add some excitement to it so people will keep watching, but they shouldn't go so over the top! Everyone knows that if a stranger came into their shop and started destroying hours of hard work that the police would be involved for sure!

I remember that show and how huge the cake was. They were proud they were able to do a complete cake in 1 1/2 hrs. Now tell me that was not prepared or rehearsed. To rebake, re-ice, decorate and stack in 1 1/2 hrs, not a chance. Everything had to have been made in advance. Even if they used cakes from other jobs to make do, would they have the flavours that the customer wanted.

I do enjoy the cakes but like some i fast forward to the cakes to miss all the other drama.

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 7:21am
post #30 of 30

Fake or not, these "things" (crazy mentally deranged brides) do really exists, besides terrorists. icon_cool.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%