Is Custard Filling Safe Out Of Fridge....

Decorating By chelseak Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 5:42pm by Rylan

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a cake with a vanilla custard type filling. I am covering the cake in black fondant. Do I need to put the cake in the fridge? I don't want my fondant to get sweaty... I know at the grocery store they sell containers of Bavarian cream outside the fridge. Is custard safe out of the fridge??

TIA icon_smile.gif

4 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 5

No, I believe they have to be refrigerated. I use custards all of the time and I never wanted to risk not refrigerating it. I think those creams you are talking about would say "refrigerate after opening".

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:39pm
post #3 of 5

The only "custards" that are safe to leave unrefrigerated are the faux "custards" used by some bakeries, like what Dunkin Donuts uses in their "custard" filled donuts. I'm not sure if that product is available non-commercially. If your grocery store bakery uses it (I know Publix does, I *think* they source it from Brill, but it's been a long time since I worked there, so my memory's not perfect on that) they may be willing to sell it to you by the pound.

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:40pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks a lot!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 5

Prterrell, I've never thought of the custards from donuts! Hmm I'd love to get a hand of those.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%