What Do You Think Of Wilton's Buttercream Icing Mix?

Decorating By chr15t1ne Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 5:41pm by Elfie

chr15t1ne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chr15t1ne Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 5

So I am new at all this, and was planning on using Wilton's buttercream icing mix for my cake covered with satin ice. Has anyone used this before, and if so, how is it? Also, it says you can make it with water or milk- which would taste better? I have this vision of working so hard on this cake and it's ruined by nasty tasting icing!
Thank you for all your help!!

4 replies
kitcae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitcae Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 5

I've never tried it, but other people have said it tastes bad.Good luck!

DLo912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DLo912 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:27pm
post #3 of 5

If I have a bunch of cakes to do for friends and family (which it usually ends up that I have three to do at a time) I sometimes buy the large tub of Wilton pre-made icing or I just make the Wilton recipe for buttercream, which is quite simple (1 cup shortening, 1 lb powdered sugar, 1 tsp flavoring, 2 tbsp of water or milk (I usually add more), 1 tbsp meringue powder and (opt) 1 pinch of salt). I think you would almost be better off either just making it on your own or buying the large tub from Michaels which is usually $12.99, but with a 50% coupon it would only be about $6.50. I've never had any complaints with the Wilton buttercream. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

ShelleyMJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelleyMJ Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 5

I have used the mix and it tastes fine. However, I prefer to make my own. There are so many recipes out there. I love the recipes I have found right here on CC.

icon_smile.gif

Elfie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elfie Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 5

I actually like the taste of the Wilton tub frosting. It tastes like vanilla candy to me. I like to pipe borders with it, but anything more detailed then that it's too soft. It has a lot of "stretch" so it can be fun to play with. I think it would be fine under fondant. I think as the sole frosting on a cake it might be too sweet. I keep a tub around for practice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%