What Do You Do

Lounge By Sunflower08 Updated 1 Oct 2009 , 12:16pm by Sunflower08

Sunflower08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunflower08 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 3:39pm
post #1 of 8

What do you do when you absolutly hate your job?? I work as an office assistant and have for the last three years for the same company. It's a family run business (not my family). Here lately I'm getting yelled at for the craziest of things. A shipping company messed up a shipment and I got screamed at like it was my fault. I show up at 7:30 every morning like I was told to do because I'm not needed any earlier and was told not to show up earlier and got screamed at this week for that as well! Then I take a late lunch one day because of someone walking in to fill out an application and honestly took 45 minutes to fill it out. I was yelled at for being out way to late for lunch.
I feel like anything I do whether it right or wrong I'm going to get yelled at!
I graduate College in December in a totally different field. I've been trying like crazy to find a job and can't find anything in my new field.

I don't know what to do....honestly feel like just crying!! icon_surprised.gif

7 replies
mightydragon663 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mightydragon663 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:24pm
post #2 of 8

Sunflower08, I'm sorry you are having such a difficult time. I know very much how you feel. I haven't liked my job for a number of years and haven't been in a position to just leave. Yet.
There are two things that help me. 1. "This to shall pass." I take a lot of comfort in that saying, because it is so true. Keep looking for something in your chosen field. It's out there just waiting for you to find it. 2. Praying for blessings for the ones I find difficult to work with, being very specific. I'm not a particularly religous person, but somehow wishing blessings and success for them changes me. I don't really understand it, but it is amazing how effective it can be. I also have to make myself stop talking about the negative things associated with my job, and that so does not come natural to me. It takes a lot of effort on my part.
I'll be sending uplifting thoughts your way. icon_smile.gif Hope your situation changes soon.

Caike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caike Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 10:24pm
post #3 of 8

Honestly? And from someone who worked for a family run business for one year of my life?

Quit and find something else. Or find something else and then quit.

It's not worth giving up your spirit and confidence to let a private company run you into the ground. I'm sure they don't pay you enough to take that crap. And if you can't find something in your field, find something in another field for the time being. I of all people understand that there are financial considerations when in a situation like this, but I found my way through it when I was placed in this situation a couple years ago.

Anyways, it's like a lot of the ladies on the forums say - "Do what you love". I will never work for another company where I get run into the ground again; life is way too short. HTH.

PS: If it's impossible to leave or find something else at this point, find some sort of peace with yourself that you are doing the best that you can and you can't do any better. Like water off a ducks back, just go in there, keep your head up, and when it doubt - smile. thumbs_up.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:05am
post #4 of 8

That stinks, I'm sorry!

I don't care how bad a day someone is having or how bad their company is doing in this economy, it is never OK to scream at your employees.

Can you sit down with this person and voice your feelings?

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:42am
post #5 of 8

Im sorry you seem to be the whipping boy for people's frustration.
Is there anyone there that is a decision maker that you can sit down with and have a civilized conversation with and explain to them how you feel?

I work in my family business but we don't treat our employees like that.
Also even though there are a lot of people out of work, its super hard to find an intelligent, diligent person to work for you that you can trust, so it would be good to remind them of how much you do.

I'm sorry it sucks so bad

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:44am
post #6 of 8

It sounds like different people are yelling at you.
Find out which Mr. Big has authority over you, and if the others find fault with what you do (that is what you were told to do) tell them to take it up with Mr. Big.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:45am
post #7 of 8

When you say you'll graduate in December, I'm going to assume you're young (not old like me) and it's easy for them to "pick on" some young kid because you haven't yet grown the backbone it takes to yell back at them like this old broad can!

I have too many stories to post here but I've had bosses who just weren't used to having employees like me who, after many years of life experience, just refused to be treated like dog meat and who had no fear or problem telling them so. It takes many years to learn it and it doesn't come easy or naturally.

I had one time that I told the VP the next time this particular customer called, "I'm transferring him to you. You don't pay me enough to be talked to like that and I will NOT deal with this man ever again. So just get ready because you just became his customer service rep." (And when he called, I DID the transfer.)

Unfortunately, this is part of your life experience and know that you will grow stronger from it. When you become part of management, this will be a life lesson you will carry with you that makes you a better manager.

But sounds like it's time to have what they call a "come to jesus" meeting. They need to know that you feel like you're being an abused employee. If you're that bad at what you do, then you're requesting add'l training. If you're not that bad, then there's other issues that need resolved.

Sunflower08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunflower08 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:16pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you all for the replies.. Actually indydebi I'm 27.. I'm graduating college in December. I put off school for awhile to do life circumstances and was just now able to apply myself to finish!

I really wish I could sit down with them in my office, just don't think it's possible. I have seen a lot in the office and one thing I've learned don't bring things up to them you will always be wrong. Its always their way or no way. There are things that happen in here that are so wrong that they are doing to people and it's common sense! But like I said its always their way.

Wish I could quit but not having anything lined up no way possible of doing that. I just purchased my first home and I'm not going to mess anything up and not have an income to pay for it.
So if any of you in Ohio around Dayton or Lima area know of any jobs in a medical office.. please send me some info!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%