Do You Have To Have A License?

Business By Missy008 Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 3:16pm by Loucinda

Missy008 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 4

My MIL used to make and sell wedding cakes as a supplement to her income. She has been out of the business for a few years; to my knowledge she was not licensed. She would like to start making and selling cakes again (from her home); however, she is not physically capable. I really want to learn the trade and she is willing to teach me and the two of us go into business together. We do not intend for this to be a full-time job, just as fun and to supplement our incomes. We live in Florida. Do we have to have a license for this?

Thanks for your replies,

3 replies
kelleym Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:48pm
post #2 of 4

You have to have a license if you want to do it legally. (unless you live in a state that permits you to sell cakes from home, which unfortunately Florida doesn't).

This is a very hot button topic around here. There are many past threads on the subject. Here are a few:

Has anyone gotten in trouble for selling from home?

So how much trouble will we be in?

Now I'm too scared...

If it's illegal to sell cakes from home, can I do this?

There is a group of folks trying to change the law in Florida. I encourage you to join their effort, and in the meantime try to find a licensed kitchen to rent. thumbs_up.gif

jillmakescakes Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 4

Loucinda Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 3:16pm
post #4 of 4

Here in OHIO you do not have to be licensed, but it is very easy to BE licensed. (so I am not sure why worry about it?) To be licensed here, there are 2 criteria.....1. No pets in the house, and 2. no carpet in the kitchen. That'll be $10 - thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%