What's Your Style?

Decorating By CakeMommyTX Updated 1 Oct 2009 , 5:11pm by Price

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:04pm
post #1 of 14

It seems when I watch all these amazing cake artist on TV they all have some thing special about them.
A style thats all their own that translates to each cake, regardless of theme.
Some are very detailed oriented, while others seem to simplify a design yet keep it interesting and well executed, while others are over the top.

I want a style thats all my own and I assumed after making cakes for awhile it would just emerge and become obvious what my style was but yet looking at my pics I can't see what it is.

It seems like I'm still just making what the customer wants and havent developed my own "look".

You know those cakes when you see them you just KNOW who made them, do doubt about it.

I see a Sugarshack cake on the front page and I KNOW who made it, no questions asked.
Now I don't think I will ever be able to have the style that Sharon does, I'm too impatient to make anything that perfect..lol

But none the less I still would like a style all my own.
Is it something I need to put a conscious effort into or will it just develop on it's own?

Do any of you have a style and what would you call it ?

13 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:23pm
post #2 of 14

I'm not sure that a person can recognize their own style. I know I couldn't describe my style. I was giving a friend-decorator feedback on a cake and told her "You've mastered the modern look style. That's your niche and you do it well." She didn't know she had a style OR a niche! icon_lol.gif

I looked at your first page of pics and I'd say you have a colorful, whimsical style. I saw lots of bright colors and TT cakes that looked really good! I would say you were very non-tradtional.

If anyone can I.D. my style, I'd like to know what it is. 'Coz I'm one of those folks who dont' think I have one.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 14

I one hand I totally agree with indydebi. I don't think we recognize our own styles. But I also know that I tend to be a little more carefree, relaxed towards my cake-making. Whether or not that translates into my cakes idk.

Caralinc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caralinc Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:43pm
post #4 of 14

I too think you have a whimsical style. I just checked out your cakes and they are very beautiful and colorful. Non-traditional and whimsical I think you have mastered.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:53pm
post #5 of 14

Hmmm that is a good question. I call my style very different. I always try to be unique--trying to avoid something that has been done by others repetatively.

I want to call my style Rylan style.

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:26am
post #6 of 14

I'm glad I wasn't the only one trying to figure out my style. But cakemommyTX you are very much whimsical and you have that down pack. Very nice work.

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:27am
post #7 of 14

I'm glad I wasn't the only one trying to figure out my style. But cakemommyTX you are very much whimsical and you have that down pack. Very nice work.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:37am
post #8 of 14

I think thats funny you should say that. I have always liked your style. I look at it as bold, whimsical, and bright. Girl, you definetly have a look to your cake.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:50am
post #9 of 14

well i havn't done much but i would say my style was 'pretty' and 'sweet'....i dunno lol

Sometimes i like lots of little detail too. But saying that i could branch out from those styles if it called for it i just do them cose i pretty much mostly only do practice cakes for my family and decorate them how i like icon_smile.gif

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:19am
post #10 of 14

I've been playing around with cake art for about 4 years now. I'm sorry to say I still don't think I have developed my own style. I know what I like. I love it when someone posts a picture of a perfectly smooth cake, sharp clean edges, neat and simple. I love cakes with modeled figures.

I agree Sugarshack definitely has a style of her own. Also Aine2, Boween, and Ladybug76.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 2:24am
post #11 of 14

Whimsical....I like the sound of that thumbs_up.gif

I guess it a case of not seeing the forest thru all those darn trees, b'cuz I can see all of ya'lls styles no problem.

And it's not a bad style to have either icon_wink.gif

Thank you all, and I'll keep doing what I'm doing and see where it takes me.

Price Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 2:56am
post #12 of 14

CakeMommyTX - I like your style. Your cakes are great!

cakesalot13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesalot13 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 4:00pm
post #13 of 14

I try to make things realistic, but still seem so/ in a pseudo cartoonish look.
What do you think?

Price Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 5:11pm
post #14 of 14

great look! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%