Cake- Refridgerate Or Not? Help!!

Decorating By chr15t1ne Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 11:56pm by lthiele

chr15t1ne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chr15t1ne Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:50am
post #1 of 10

Is a tiered cake more moist if you refridgerate it overnight or leave it out? I am covering a three tier cake with satin ice and not sure if I should put it in the fridge or not for the next day- I don't want it to be dry or the satin ice to have moisture on it.
Thank you!!

9 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:07am
post #2 of 10

You will get many answers with this question. Some people say it will dry it out and some people say that the fondant preserves the moisture inside the cake. I always refrigerate my cakes and I have never had a problem with a dry cake.

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 10:53am
post #3 of 10

Overnight really should not make a difference as to the moisture of the cake, provided it is covered as you said. What are the fillings you have used? If the fillings need to be kept chilled then yes - into the fridge it goes. Otherwise, I leave my cakes out at room temperature all the time the night before delivery.

I learnt from _Jamie_ that you can put your fondant cakes into the fridge and sit them in front of a fan when they come out, to dry off any condensation.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 11:39am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chr15t1ne

Is a tiered cake more moist if you refridgerate it overnight or leave it out? I am covering a three tier cake with and not sure if I should put it in the fridge or not for the next day- I don't want it to be dry or the to have moisture on it.
Thank you!!

I refrigerate all cakes. A tiered cake is more stable for delivery when cold as well.

chr15t1ne Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 10

I am just using strawberry and buttercream as a filling. I was just afraid that if I put it in the fridge it would dry out the the cake- and/ or the satin ice would crack. I have never used satin ice before, so I am just not sure what would be the best thing to do.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:55pm
post #6 of 10

You mean fresh strawberries? That would be considered perishable and you should always refrigerate when it comes to that.

chr15t1ne Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:24pm
post #7 of 10

okay thanks Rylan! I was planning on using fresh strawberries, but they aren't refridgerated when you buy them, so I guess that's why I wasn't sure if they were considered "perishable" or not. As you can tell, I am VERY new at all this LOL!

Kandy4283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandy4283 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:37pm
post #8 of 10

I have to agree, I put all my cakes in the fridge over night!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:42pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Arnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by chr15t1ne

Is a tiered cake more moist if you refridgerate it overnight or leave it out? I am covering a three tier cake with and not sure if I should put it in the fridge or not for the next day- I don't want it to be dry or the to have moisture on it.
Thank you!!

I refrigerate all cakes. A tiered cake is more stable for delivery when cold as well.

What he said. icon_biggrin.gif

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 11:56pm
post #10 of 10

I have never had my fondant crack or anything bad from putting it in the fridge. If in doubt go for it, as previously stated they are a lot more stable when cold! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%