I Can't Get Gumpaste. Can I Turn Foundant Into Usable?

Decorating By Aussie_gurl Updated 3 Oct 2009 , 12:31am by Jeff_Arnett

Aussie_gurl Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:29am
post #1 of 11

Okay so I can't get gum paste, but am wanting to make figurines (animal, people etc) I have ready made fondant, and the shop said I can add Cellogen (Tylopur) powder to it to make it set harder and easier to work with?

Is this correct? How much do I add to how much fondant?

Please help! So much to learn icon_smile.gif

10 replies
SpringFlour Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:36am
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Quote:

I can add Cellogen (Tylopur) powder

I'm guessing that this is the same thing as Tylose powder? If so, then yes. I rarely use gumpaste because I don't have it on hand and don't want to make it. For figures, it will be fine to use it mixed with fondant. It will dry nice and hard. For flowers, you'd probably still want to use gumpaste, since you can roll it so thin.

I don't quite kow how much to add. I usually just sprinkle some onto my fondant and knead it in. I'm not a measurer. icon_redface.gif I'd say maybe about 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon for a baseball sized chunk of fondant? Someone else may have a better answer to that question.

madgeowens Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:43am
post #3 of 11

I think they mean tylose powder? Ask Tonedna, she would know absolutely how to make it

Rylan Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:16am
post #4 of 11

I've been using fondant with tylose lately, even for flowers and yes, you can roll it really thin. As for the ratio, I don't really measure. I agree with SpringFlour about the ratio--maybe I'll add just a little bit more.

Mac Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:48am
post #5 of 11

Tylose powder mixed with fondant...I just sprinkle some on the mat in place of powdered sugar...works to keep fondant from sticking and then just work it in. I made a purse handle and in 30 minutes, I was able to put it on the cake--held it's shape.

I may never buy gumpaste again!

peg818 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 11

I add one teaspoon tylose for every 8 oz of fondant

superstar Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 4:36am
post #7 of 11

20 1 lb of fondant add 1 teaspoon of tylose & two teaspoons of Cream of Tartar powder, this makes wonderful flower paste & is great for modeling. I never buy gumpaste at all.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 6:53pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_gurl

Okay so I can't get gum paste, but am wanting to make figurines (animal, people etc) I have ready made fondant, and the shop said I can add Cellogen (Tylopur) powder to it to make it set harder and easier to work with?

Is this correct? How much do I add to how much fondant?

Please help! So much to learn icon_smile.gif

You can add 2 teaspoons tylopur to a pound of fondant and knead it in thoroughly, then all the paste to mature a few hours before using.....BUT.....

If you have tylopur, which is another name for tylose, or CMC as it is known chemically, you can make your own gum paste easily using Nick Lodge's recipe.

4 large egg whites
2 pound powdered sugar
1/4 cup tylopur powder

Place 3/4 of the sugar [estimate it] into you mixer bowl. Add the egg whites and beat with the paddle beater until a thick royal icing forms. Add color at this time if desired.

With the mixer running, sprinkle in the tylopur powder...the mixture will thicken immediately. Mix thoroughly.

Sprinkle the remaining sugar on a work surface and knead in enough additional sugar until paste is stiff and not sticky.....I then knead in about 1 tablespoon white vegetable shortening [fat].

Place the paste in a plastic storage bag, pushing out the excess air, and let mature overnight before using.

nonnyscakes Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 7:21pm
post #9 of 11

Where do you get tylose?

superstar Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 9:20pm
post #10 of 11

lees_luv, you can buy it from Global Sugar or maybe your cake supply shop has it. I am sorry for my typo yesterday, it was supposed to read 'to 1 lb of fondant'.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 12:31am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar

lees_luv, you can buy it from Global Sugar or maybe your cake supply shop has it. I am sorry for my typo yesterday, it was supposed to read 'to 1 lb of fondant'.

Save your money and don't buy those tiny containers of tylose [CMC, or carboxymethyl cellulose as it is known chemically]. Search eBay for CMC or carboxymethyl cellulose. You can usually get a whole pound less than $20!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%