How To Create A Shimmer Effect???

Decorating By jolie1977 Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 6:35pm by Tee-Y

jolie1977 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 1:54am
post #1 of 29

I'm looking to make a cake I've seen online and the flowers and fondant covering the cake all have this shimmery look to them... I'm assuming there must be a spray to give that effect? It wouldn't be hand brushed with luster dust or anything like that would it? Can anyone help?

28 replies
diane706 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:14am
post #2 of 29

Maybe it was airbrushed with a mixture of pearl luster dust and vodka (or lemon juice) Can you post a pic?

jolie1977 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 29

Here's a pic of the cake I found on the internet...
LL

KHalstead Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 29

that looks like pearl aribrush spray......you can usually get it anywhere that sells airbrush colors.

here is a cake I did where I used it.
LL

Barb1959 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:39pm
post #5 of 29

Beautiful pictures. I love the idea of the cake board being bigger and decorating that with your message instead of putting it on the cake. Wish I had seen that a month ago!

jolie1977 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 29

Tina, that looks exactly like what I'm looking for!!! Do you need different "colors" for the spray or is it a "clear" spray?

jolie1977 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 29

Beautiful cake by the way! Funny that you'd post a lady bug cake because that's my next cake after Tink! ;o) I've been working on a design for the past couple weeks! Great cake!

jewels710 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:48pm
post #8 of 29

Does that mean you can only airbrush it to get it to look that way?

KHalstead Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:49pm
post #9 of 29

thanks...........nope, it's clear so you just spray it on when the cake is finished. I use it on almost EVERY wedding cake I do too......with white buttercream it just makes it look so silky and then in the sunlight you get that shimmer.. it doesn't always come across too well in photographs though.

I got mine at sugar craft for an 8 oz. bottle it was like 11.00 or something and I've had the bottle for almost 2 yrs. now and I'm only half way through the bottle...it goes really far!

I've even sprayed on grey icing and it gives it a silver appearance.....I love this stuff!

KHalstead Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:51pm
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb1959

Beautiful pictures. I love the idea of the cake board being bigger and decorating that with your message instead of putting it on the cake. Wish I had seen that a month ago!

thanks, it was supposed to look like the lady bug was on a leaf but it didn't really turn out that way........the lady wanted a 12" round for the lady bug....big ol' bug! lol

LULABEL Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:05pm
post #11 of 29

So you don't have to have an airbrush to use it??

LULABEL Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:06pm
post #12 of 29

I'm am confused icon_eek.gif . . . . so you don't have to have an airbrush to use it or you do???

Texas_Rose Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:10pm
post #13 of 29

I think that what Tina was talking about is the kind that you use with an airbrush. You can paint it on with a paintbrush but it's not as sheer and you go through it a lot faster (I bought my bottle three months ago and it's more than half gone).

Here's a pearl spray http://www.globalsugarart.com/search.php?search=pearl+spray I haven't tried it but it should give that sheer shimmer effect without an airbrush.

LULABEL Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:14pm
post #14 of 29

Thank you Texas_Rose . . . . sorry for the double post icon_lol.gif

KHalstead Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:15pm
post #15 of 29

the kind I use is for an airbrush and I use it with an airbrush and it goes really far...............I'm sure you could just brush it on if you wanted to, but it would probably be kinda streaky I would think

Texas_Rose Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:31pm
post #16 of 29

This is what it looks like when it's painted on:

It takes a little practice...you can't go over the same spot twice unless it's totally dry, or it will get streaky. I wouldn't be putting it on with a paintbrush if I had the $$$ for an airbrush icon_biggrin.gif but I like the look of it better than pearl dust mixed with vodka.

KHalstead Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:45pm
post #17 of 29

wow, that sillhouette is stunning!!! How have I never seen this cake before......just gorgeous!

Texas_Rose Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:59pm
post #18 of 29

Thank you! I used cookie cutters for the silhouette.

jolie1977 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:00pm
post #19 of 29

That's something I can only dream of getting for now... an airbrush... but in the meantime, that "Lustre Spray Pearl by PME" posted by Texax_Rose should do a similar job? Sounds easier than hand brushing too... but I spraying might be tricky, I've never done it before...

tatorchip Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:00pm
post #20 of 29

Texas_Rose, how did you cut out the sillhouette? Do you have the pattern? I sure wish I had a copy (yeah I am begging) lol

KHalstead Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:03pm
post #21 of 29

cookie cutter?? Never seen those before, where did you buy them?

Texas_Rose Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:05pm
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatorchip

Texas_Rose, how did you cut out the sillhouette? Do you have the pattern? I sure wish I had a copy (yeah I am begging) lol

I used these: http://confectionery-house.amazonwebstore.com/Bride-And-Groom-Metal-Cookie-Cutter/M/B00086IDLO.htm

Looking at them, my daughter must have squeezed the groom a bit icon_biggrin.gif because my groom cutter was skinnier. My sister bought the cutters at a cake supply shop in Austin. It was for my parents' 40th anniversary.

tatorchip Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:11pm
post #23 of 29

Thanks, I will order them, I wish I could afford the air-brush also maybe Santa can hear me. Your daughter was trying to help lol
Your cake is awesome, you do great with handpainting

Tee-Y Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:13pm
post #24 of 29

Texas rose that silhouette is stunning!!!! Can you please post a template?Ple-e-a--se!!!!!!! icon_lol.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:15pm
post #25 of 29

LOL...I wish Santa was bringing me an air brush too. Santa's bringing the kids their stuff and paying the electric bill though icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif and hopefully I'll get an airbrush when we get our tax refund in February...was going to get one this year but I broke my leg and my share of the tax refund went to medical stuff.

Texas_Rose Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:17pm
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Y

Texas rose that silhouette is stunning!!!! Can you please post a template?Ple-e-a--se!!!!!!! icon_lol.gif

It was cookie cutters, not a template. I could try tracing them I guess.

tatorchip Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:20pm
post #27 of 29

lol I only have 1 child and she is grown and gone so Santa only has me to worry about, dh can wait till next yr for a toy lol

tatorchip Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:25pm
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolie1977

That's something I can only dream of getting for now... an airbrush... but in the meantime, that "Lustre Spray Pearl by PME" posted by Texax_Rose should do a similar job? Sounds easier than hand brushing too... but I spraying might be tricky, I've never done it before...

Practice on a cardboard box that has some bc icing on it HTH

Tee-Y Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:35pm
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Y

It was cookie cutters, not a template. I could try tracing them I guess.

I knew you'ld know what I mean! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif .A tracing is just perfect! Thank you so much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%