What In The World Is Up With These People Tonight? Help! Ugh

Decorating By sweetneice Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 7:18pm by sweetneice

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 12:59am
post #1 of 15

Ok, so I'm checking my email and I find 2 interesting emails. Help me out here.....

The first was a response to a quote I sent out for a 4 tier fondant cake with quilted design, flowing ribbon ,and pearl accents. The entire thing with delivery was $750. You would have thought I said 7500! She wrote me back and said" WOW, Not what I expected!" If I take it down to 3 tiers would it be cheaper?" I responded no, because the amount of servings are the same, so it doesnt matter if it's 3 or 4, it's priced per serving. I was almost about to go down on the price until my DH stopped me and said NO! That's your price and you're sticking to it, if she doesnt like it, she needs to go elsewhere. You can't ask for quality work and then get mad at the price." Such a great hubby! Keeps me on track I tell ya!

The 2nd one I wonder if it's a scam, and I'm almost afraid to answer it. This place called the wedding colony sent me a request for a couple's wedding cake with detailed information including the fact that they don't want black icing due to the staining of the teeth. They wanted a quote and so before I respond, I wanted to know......how to tell when it's legit? Never heard of the company, but that doesnt mean it's not real. What do you guys think about these two? tia

14 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 1:03am
post #2 of 15

For the first one...Hubby is right!!! That is your price...if she doesn't like it..DON'T ORDER...

second one...Give a quote and see what happens..Make sure you have contracts etc..

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 1:07am
post #3 of 15

There's a website called the Wedding Colony that lets vendors register for free, and then if you find a customer through them, they charge you a percentage.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 1:16am
post #4 of 15

If you go from four tiers to three tiers, how do you not have fewer servings? Is one of them a dummy tier?

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 1:24am
post #5 of 15

Thats what I couldn't figure out as well

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 1:34am
post #6 of 15

round
6-8-10-12 = 130

6-10-14 = 128

9-16 = 132

square 16 = 128

close enough -- same price.

nope 3 tiers is NOT cheaper

(and imo, in this case makes for a fat squat cake!)

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 1:34am
post #7 of 15

Each tier would be larger.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 1:37am
post #8 of 15

Yeah for your husband. Now for the second was that a service you even signed up for. I ain't given anyone a percentage of anything!

PuffMamaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffMamaT Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:42am
post #9 of 15

I run a non-cake business with my hubby, and I always have the urge to go down in price, too. Finally my accountant/financial planner told me: "Never apologize for your prices". It is what it is. People are paying for my expertise (and yours!). Never be ashamed of that. I think I have the urge to go down in price because in MY mind, what I do seems fairly easy in some respects. It's because I do it every single day! But to the average person, there is no way they can do it. It's the same thing with cakes. It's an art AND a science!

When it comes to custom cakes, people generally don't have much experience with the cost of these things. They are used to running up to Costco or the corner grocery for some flat, production-line cake for $14.99. How many times in their life do they go shopping for wedding cakes? Well, if they're lucky, once! LOL I had sticker shock 12 years ago when I paid $400 for my 5-tier cornelli lace covered wedding cake. Now I realize what a steal that was!

Make no apologies. You are an artiste! icon_biggrin.gif

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:56am
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffMamaT

I run a non-cake business with my hubby, and I always have the urge to go down in price, too. Finally my accountant/financial planner told me: "Never apologize for your prices". It is what it is. People are paying for my expertise (and yours!). Never be ashamed of that. I think I have the urge to go down in price because in MY mind, what I do seems fairly easy in some respects. It's because I do it every single day! But to the average person, there is no way they can do it. It's the same thing with cakes. It's an art AND a science! icon_biggrin.gif

And fixing a car is easy for a mechanic, but I can't do it! icon_wink.gif

sweetneice Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:58am
post #11 of 15

I charge per person so whether I do sizes to accomodate a 3 or 4 tier for the same amount of people, it's still the same amount of people so it has no bearing on the price. If they need a cake to feed 250 people whether they want in 3 or 4 tiers I do sizes to accomodate 250 people either way, so there would be no price change unless the number of guests decrease.

sweetneice Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 3:02am
post #12 of 15

Thanks puffmamat.........well said! Thanks guys for the encouragement to stay at regular price.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 3:05am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffMamaT

I think I have the urge to go down in price because in MY mind, what I do seems fairly easy in some respects.

Very insightful and I totally relate! My husband is always telling me to stop saying "It's easy!" and he says about the same as you: "It's easy to YOU. But to someone who doesn't know how to do it, it's not."

And your avatar doesn't look like a lady who would go by Puff Mama T! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

And fixing a car is easy for a mechanic, but I can't do it! icon_wink.gif

Great parallel!! I'm gonna figure out how to work this into conversations!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 3:30am
post #14 of 15

Your prices are cheaper than mine...you are at 3 per person for a 250 serving cake, I start at 4 for that large of a cake. Sounds like she was getting deal and didn't know it.

Stick to your guns!

sweetneice Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:18pm
post #15 of 15

catlharper, that was just an example to show how I came to that conclusion. LOL! She really did get a great deal though

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%