Very Runny Ganache. Oh Know!!!

Baking By kim_catt Updated 25 Oct 2009 , 12:23am by madgeowens

kim_catt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim_catt Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 12:14am
post #1 of 19

well i did my firdt attempt at ganache. oh no, it was totally runny. icon_sad.gif

i used 1.25 cups of half and half and 2 cups of chocolate waffers.

i thought it was thicking up. ahhhh when i put it on the cake it just ran off, like brown water. but it does taste good though.

what did i do wrong. could it have been using wafer chocolate instead of bakers chocolate.

if anyone has any tips or easy recipes, i would appricate it.
Kimberley

18 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 12:33am
post #2 of 19

By wafer chocolates do you mean like the Wilton Candy melts?

I've only made ganache using real chocolate, so I'm not sure how the melts work.

After I make it I allow it to sit for a bit to thicken before pouring it on the cake.

Maybe yours didn't have a chance to set and that's why it was too runny.

HTH

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 12:50am
post #3 of 19

Ugh. don't use the candy melt wafer candy coating stuff.

How long did you let it sit before pouring it?

I'm not sure how the wafers would work, but it sounds to me like you had too much liquid to chocolate and maybe didn't let it cool long enough.

prterrell Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 1:32am
post #4 of 19

Also, don't measure the chocolate using a measuring cup, it must be weighed or the amounts will be inaccurate.

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 1:37am
post #5 of 19

1 pound of chocolate to 1 cup of heavy cream and 2 tablespoon of butter. extra flavor of your choice 1 teaspoon. we use this recipe every day at the chocolate store.

vmertsock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmertsock Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:22am
post #6 of 19

Half and Half doesn't set up. You need to use heavy cream. I've seen a lot of people here use a 2:1 ratio, but I've always had fantastic luck with 1:1. I don't refrigerate it unless I'm in a hurry and then I stir it every 20 minutes or so until it's set up. I typically just cover and leave at room temp (cool) overnight and it's wonderfully silky the next day. Perfect for smoothing. To use it as a glaze I let it cool for a bit after I make it, not long enough to set just enough so it doesn't melt the undercoat.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 3:07am
post #7 of 19

The Wilton cany melts ganache recipe uses 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1 package (14 oz.) candy melts:

http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Ganache

HTH

kim_catt Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 10:54am
post #8 of 19

what is considered a heavy cream? would whipping cream be better to use?

yes candy melts (chocolate wafers). i guess i should have used bakers chocolate and chopped it up.

ill check out the link also.
thanks for your responses.

Kimberley

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 11:19am
post #9 of 19

I use heavy whipping cream and use a 2:1 ratio.

prterrell Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:05pm
post #10 of 19

Oh gosh I missed that you used 1/2 and 1/2! That would NEVER work! (It is half cream and half milk!) Heavy cream = whipping cream. I use Ghirardelli brand chips, that way you don't have to chop up the chocolate.

kim_catt Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:39pm
post #11 of 19

thanks so much. you know i did not even think about 1/2 and 1/2 being half milk and half cream. i totally gapped that. well i went to the store and got whipping cream and tried it again. it worked out great, sloppy but great. i hope to be better next time.

than you for all your help everyone.
Kimberley

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 8:48pm
post #12 of 19

I have only used the candy melts for ganache and have never had a problem. I'm with the ones that say it is the half and half. You need heavy cream/whipping cream.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 9:02pm
post #13 of 19

defonately. Whipping / heavy / double cream it is.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 9:10pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I have only used the candy melts for ganache and have never had a problem. I'm with the ones that say it is the half and half. You need heavy cream/whipping cream.

Hi, if you use the candy melts how much whipping cream do you add? and if you use the chocolate that comes in a bar/square what's the ratio???

prterrell Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 12:47am
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

Quote:

Hi, if you use the candy melts how much whipping cream do you add? and if you use the chocolate that comes in a bar/square what's the ratio???

If you do it by weight, it doesn't matter what shape the chocolate is in:

8 oz of cream to 16 oz of chocolate.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 3:31am
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

Quote:

If you do it by weight, it doesn't matter what shape the chocolate is in:

8 oz of cream to 16 oz of chocolate.

Thank you very much Prterrell!! I am at this very moment making white chocolate ganache icon_smile.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 5:08am
post #17 of 19

FWIW heavy cream is not always the same as whipping cream; usually what is labeled as "whipping cream" has a lower fat content. For lack of a better word, it's "lighter" (thus the different terminology). Of course it still works! But I find my best results with real "heavy cream" which is often found at the supermarket right next to the whipping cream. Trader Joe's carries a great heavy cream - it's restaurant grade (306-40% fat...I can't recall which it is) if you happen to live near one. It's cheap, too! thumbs_up.gif

kim_catt Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 10:11am
post #18 of 19

ok. thank you and thanks for all the replies.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 12:23am
post #19 of 19

I thought it said 1'/2 cup on wilton site...isn't 4 oz a half cup...I have pneumonia and cant think haha so maybe I am wrong

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%