Frustrated!

Decorating By Mom_Of_4 Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 1:00pm by Mom_Of_4

Mom_Of_4 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 11:56pm
post #1 of 8

Alright so I am already pretty busy this week with cakes and cookies, but this afternoon a lady called me for a cake that she wants this weekend. Well she actually needs two! So I told her I would work them in even though it is short notice when I asked how many people she needed the cakes for she said it doesn't matter? What? So I told her an 8 in round would feed about 20 people and she said two of those would be fine.
I worked up designs and called her with a price ($100, $50 for each) and she said she needs cake for 60-80 people! So we work out that I can make a two layer 9x13 and a 10 inch round, which all together will feed about 70-75. I called her back about an hour later with a price of $185 for both. Just now heard back from her via text message that she will pass on the cakes. I am so glad that I took time out from taking care of the orders I already have for this week!
I am always struggling with what to charge so I am curious as to if you all think I over charged her? I did charge .25 more a slice because it is such late notice. I don't know, I am just anxious to hear other peoples thoughts on this! Thanks for your time!

7 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 12:42am
post #2 of 8

I really do hate tire kickers who email back and forth and waste our time only to pass....I don't think it was your prices..she probably just decided not to spend the money. That is the nature of business..You are always gonna get people who want all the information and then some and say Forget it!!

indydebi Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 1:08am
post #3 of 8

This is why I like having flat pricing. They tell me how many servings they need .... I know what size cake they need ..... I can give them a price inside of 10 seconds. Even if they want a design that I charge extra for (FBCT, edible image, partial fondant work), I still know what I charge for those and it takes a few seconds longer to add that up.

Both of your cakes came out to about $2.50/serving. Is that your standard rate or did they both work out that way by coincidence?

Mom_Of_4 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:10am
post #4 of 8

No I normally charge $2.00 or $2.25 for buttercream but since it was a late order I charged a little extra. I $2.00 a slice is pretty much my base price. Do you think that is too much?

LaBellaFlor Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:16am
post #5 of 8

I think that is too cheap.

indydebi Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:18am
post #6 of 8

Not compared to my pricing. As stated on my site, I'm $3.50 for straight BC.

I think that you dodged the bullet. She needs cake ... doesn't matter how much cake, so you quote her for 40 servings and SUDDENLY it DOES matter how much cake ... and now she needs twice that amount. And then is shocked when it's more than twenty bucks.

Be glad she moved on.

lthiele Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 11:03am
post #7 of 8

Ooh yeah - dont give her another thought. Dont think your pricing was the issue! icon_rolleyes.gif

Mom_Of_4 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 1:00pm
post #8 of 8

Well I am glad to hear that you ladies don't think I over charged her. The problem is that walmart is so much cheaper, but not near as good as my cakes. So as my always says if you have a champagne taste on a beer budget, I say go to walmart! Thanks for all of your responses!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%