Black Fondant- How To??? Help!

Decorating By scmartin04 Updated 1 Oct 2009 , 9:12pm by peg818

scmartin04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scmartin04 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 8

What is the best way to color fondant black? Do I use chocolate first and then add the black color? Help. I need to make a small amount.

7 replies
madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 8

I make mmf as usual only when time to add cs I add some cocoa powder...along with cs....then 2-3 TBS of black color....

erincc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erincc Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 8

I made the chocolate marshmallow fondant recipe from this site, used Hershey's Dark Cocoa powder & Dark Chocolate Chips, then added a little black food coloring.

MavericksMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MavericksMommy Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 12:04am
post #4 of 8

I've never needed a large quantity so I've just kneaded in some americolor black color until it's as black as I want. I've done tires on a car etc. with this method.

MavericksMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MavericksMommy Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 12:04am
post #5 of 8

I've never needed a large quantity so I've just kneaded in some americolor black color until it's as black as I want. I've done tires on a car etc. with this method.

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 12:18am
post #6 of 8

Oh me, most often I just airbrush where possible or paint with black dust or paste mixed with alcohol. I get so tired trying to mix black fondant especially large quantities but I still do atimes.

scmartin04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scmartin04 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 9:08pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you for all the ideas. I will try and see which works best for me. I appreciate the help.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 9:12pm
post #8 of 8

i guess i'm the lazy one. I buy it, if i need larger quantities. If you just need small amount its not that hard to just mix the coloring in. But if you are looking for a larger amount its much easier just to buy it. I feel the same way about red.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%