Best Chocolate Buttercream?

Baking By CakeJediChic Updated 2 Oct 2009 , 5:08pm by CakeJediChic

CakeJediChic Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 21

Ive looked through all the Chocolate buttercream recipes on here and have made the chocolate IMBC and one other that I cant remember. i used cocoa powder in one and semi sweet chocolate in the other. My problem is they both tasted very bitter and grainy. Im looking for a recipe that is very chocolaty for a cake thats due Saturday. I suppose if i cant find a good one ill have to resort to buying it at sams.

Also-i need a crusting recipe with crisco--the heat and humidity is bad here!

Thanks for any help!!

20 replies
KitchenKat Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 12:39am
post #2 of 21

Did you use cocoa powder for IMBC? Don't! Use melted semi-sweet or even a good quality milk chocolate. Makes a world of difference. If you prefer an intense, dark chocolate flavor used semi or bitter-sweet but if you want a mellow, milky flavor, use milk choco. I've used about 8-12 oz of melted chocolate per pound of butter.
It won't crust though.

However I prefer using ganache to chocolate BC. You get a truer chocolate flavor. Choco BC tastes weak and sweet and to me.

I also like using Milk Chocolate BC --- melt 1 lb milk chocolate & 8 oz dark chocolate then beat the cooled chocolates into 12 oz softened butter. Yum!

CakeJediChic Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:01am
post #3 of 21

i used semi sweet ghiradelli in the imbc. i think ill try with milk choco instead. my customer requested choco cake/choco bc but just havent had luck with the recipes ive tried.

does the milk chocolate bc you decribed crust? i will be painting a wood grain look on the bc which is the only reason i need it to crust.

Doug Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:09am
post #4 of 21

i take indydebi's and add one 8oz bag melted Ghiradelli dark semi-sweet per single batch.

very delicious and not at all grainy or bitter -- being a traditional "sweet" BC, the flavor came out just right.

IMBC is not "sweet" so the semisweet would be not work there well if you like a sweet chocolate (then there are those of us who eat the dark semi-sweet chips straight up!)

for very smooth traditional BC -- blend melted chocolate into the fats first, then add the flavorings and PS

also, I like to sub butter for up to 1/2 of the veggie shortening to get an even richer taste.

CakeJediChic Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:14am
post #5 of 21

thanks doug! i can use hi ratio right? if i use half high ratio/half butter will i still get a crust?

Doug Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:19am
post #6 of 21

I haven't tried it with high ratio -- just reg trans-fat filled veggie shortening I get at Aldi's

(no local vendors of high ratio and I wouldn't use it enough to justify mail order)

plbennett_8 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:24am
post #7 of 21

Yes, you can use high ratio... icon_smile.gif And yes, you can use half butter as long as you are not worried about heat and humidity icon_smile.gif I love Indi buttercream! icon_biggrin.gif

UpAt2am Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:25am
post #8 of 21

i love the choc. bc recipe i use...it crusts too! it does use butter but i also live where there is a ton of heat and humidity and haven't had a problem with it.
6 T. softened butter
3/4 C. cocoa
2 2/3 C powdered sugar
1/3 C milk
1 tsp. vanilla
pinch of salt
cream butter, mix the cocoa and sugar together and then add that mixture alternately with the milk; beat to a spreading consistency. blend in vanilla and salt. make 2 cups approx.

SugarFrosted Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:54am
post #9 of 21

Btw, a lot of people like the sam's buttercream. I personally don't like the vanilla, but I really really like the sam's chocolate buttercream.

It's really dark and crusts well enough if you give it some time. When I need a less intense chocolate, I mix it 2 parts choc with 1 part my own white buttercream for a really versatile chocolate.

It would not be a crisis if you decided to go with the sam's choc.

Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:37am
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAt2am

i love the choc. bc recipe i use...it crusts too! it does use butter but i also live where there is a ton of heat and humidity and haven't had a problem with it.
6 T. softened butter
3/4 C. cocoa
2 2/3 C powdered sugar
1/3 C milk
1 tsp. vanilla
pinch of salt
cream butter, mix the cocoa and sugar together and then add that mixture alternately with the milk; beat to a spreading consistency. blend in vanilla and salt. make 2 cups approx.

I have been looking for a good crusting buttercream that does not use shortening . Thanks I cant wait to try!

sophie691 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 11:10pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAt2am

6 T. softened butter
3/4 C. cocoa
2 2/3 C powdered sugar
1/3 C milk
1 tsp. vanilla
pinch of salt

Thanks!

CakeJediChic Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:06am
post #12 of 21

thanks everyone! I actually tried the sams choco bc and i really like it! i was just worried about it crusting. im glad to hear it does!! im going to try one more batch and if its a fail, then im buying the choco from sams!

Ladybug78 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:23am
post #13 of 21

Thanks, i needed this

Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 3:17am
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeJediChic

thanks everyone! I actually tried the sams choco bc and i really like it! i was just worried about it crusting. im glad to hear it does!! im going to try one more batch and if its a fail, then im buying the choco from sams!

Do U buy this from the bakery or is it in the freezer section, and do U have to mix it or is it ready to use?

SugarFrosted Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 4:01am
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Treats_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeJediChic

Do U buy this from the bakery or is it in the freezer section, and do U have to mix it or is it ready to use?

At my local Sam's, I have to go to the bakery and ask the person there for a bucket of frosting. She goes into the walk-in and brings the bucket to me, after placing a price sticker on for checkout. The last time I bought it, the price was about $32 for the 28 lb. bucket.

CakeJediChic Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 5:43am
post #16 of 21

I made another batch. I just hate how it tastes gritty, and just like powdered cocoa! I've tried about 10 recipes so far and I think I'm just too picky, lol. I'm going to buy the sams stuff tomarrow. I have future orders with choc buttercream, so it will sure save me from going through this dilemma again! Thanks everyone! I think I almost killed my mixer with this trial and error run, it's probably thNking me for going with sams now, haha

sophie691 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 11:38am
post #17 of 21

can it be frozen?

Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 4:00pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

At my local Sam's, I have to go to the bakery and ask the person there for a bucket of frosting. She goes into the walk-in and brings the bucket to me, after placing a price sticker on for checkout. The last time I bought it, the price was about $32 for the 28 lb. bucket.[/quote]

Thanks for the info icon_smile.gif

scionmom Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 4:24pm
post #19 of 21

I am glad I came across this thread. I tried to make choco BC a couple weeks ago and 5 different batches and whole lot of powdered sugar later... I gave up and just made reg BC. I dont know if I have the patience to try any more recipes but i will definately try the sams!

Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 4:31pm
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by scionmom

I am glad I came across this thread. I tried to make choco BC a couple weeks ago and 5 different batches and whole lot of powdered sugar later... I gave up and just made reg BC. I dont know if I have the patience to try any more recipes but i will definately try the sams!

If U dont need a crusting chocolate BC, why dont U try a swiss merengue. They can be flavored with just about any thing. I love them thay are very velvety smooth and less cumbersome to make than an Italian Merengue. Like to use SMBC on my cupcakes.

CakeJediChic Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 5:08pm
post #21 of 21

Ive had bad luck with IMBC too. every batch I make just seems off. I think im just too preferential to Sugarshacks BC, lol. but as for Choco BC, I think im a sams worshipper, just so I dont have to make it myself. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%