First Time Making Mmf, Have Some Questions

Decorating By Cakeycup Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 12:54pm by Loucinda

Cakeycup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeycup Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 6

Hello all!

I'm new to cake decorating. I made my first batch of MMF last night and I just had some questions.

First, I may have made a mistake by using big marshmallows rather than mini ones. The grocery store didn't have any and I figured that they were both 250g that it wouldn't make a difference. So I made it in the microwave with the 2 tb of water and then 4 cups of PS. Last night it seemed a bit sticky and really soft. It wouldn't hold it's shape. I thought that it might be because it was warm so I wrapped it up and put it in the fridge.
Tonight when I took it out to colour it, it was still really sticky and wasn't holding any shape. I coloured what I needed and left a little piece out to play with. I added lots more PS and that seemed to make it more workable but won't that dry it out? Should I add a bunch of PS before I actually decorate the cupcakes? Also, to keep it from sticking to my hands I kept adding more shortening. Will that affect the taste?

Also, I have to travel with them in the car on Friday. I plan on making everything on Thursday night. Would they be alright if I put them in a cupcake box (just a cardboard one) overnight and then drive with them until about 4pm the next day?

Sorry for my extremely long post. I hope someone can decipher what I'm trying to say. icon_smile.gif

5 replies
d3sc3n7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d3sc3n7 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 10:51pm
post #2 of 6

Ok...I think I have a handle on what your asking.

MMF can be a little tricky sometimes. I dont see why the large ones wouldnt work out for you, so done see an issue there.

MMF stays pretty soft after you make it...it retains heat pretty well. It is generally best to coat the ball of fondant with a bit of shortening, wrap up tight with plastic wrap and store in the fridge over night.

Once you've taken it out, and allowed it to return to room temp. It should be a bit tough to work with. If its still loose at this point...I normally heat a little in the microwave, and add more PS till I get it right.

The stickyness your getting is from a lack of PS, or not kneeding it enough. Kneed the holy crap out of that stuff. You wont hurt it.

Also...its ALOT easier to color before you add the PS the first time!

Cakeycup Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for answering!

So how do I know if I need more PS or if I just need to knead it more?

d3sc3n7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d3sc3n7 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 11:19pm
post #4 of 6

If your MMF is at room temp. and its still very loose...then you need more PS.

If it just seems to not want to cooperate...then try kneeding it more

Cakeycup Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you so much!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 12:54pm
post #6 of 6

You need a LOT more than 4 cups of powdered sugar for the MMF recipe. (if you are using the 16 oz. bag of marshmellows) It takes nearly 2 lb. of powdered sugar - 4 cups is only one lb. I only use the big marshmellows - that should not make a difference. If you live in a humid area, it may take even more than the 2 lb. Just keep kneading in sugar until it is not sticky anymore. DO NOT add too much though, you want it to be supple and soft.....just NOT sticky.

I also do not refrigerate it, just coat it with shortning, wrap tightly in saran wrap and leave it on the counter. The only time you need to refrigerate it is if you want to keep it for a month or more. It is usually a little stiff when you first work with it after making it - just microwave it for a few seconds to soften it up - knead it again, and you are ready to go!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%