Cake With A Tunnel Question!

Decorating By BKMom Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 4:00pm by jillangel

BKMom Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 8:40pm
post #1 of 4

Hi there - I am making a cake with a tunnel underneath and need advice. Top of the cake will be the ground (grass, stream, trees) and the sides and bottom will be dirt (gummy worms, chocolate bugs) and on the bottom, I want a tunnel running through. I have a huge long gummy snake I'll thread through and gummy mice, etc.... I was thinking of using two bundt cakes, cutting them in half and lining them up back to back. How do I get the tunnels not to collapse? Should I put them in the fridge after they cool so I can cut them a bit?

Any advice will help please!

3 replies
Clovers Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 4

What if you make the cake (whatever size shape) and then bought a piece of PVC pipe, cut it in half lengthwise, and then carve the bottom of the cake so that the pipe sits flush inside the carved area? You wouldn't see it if you got a dark colour and iced/fondant the seam where it meets the cake, and it would support the weight of the cake on top of it. Hopefully that makes sense to you.. I'm awful are articulating.

Rylan Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:32am
post #3 of 4

I think it would be best to use some type of support to prevent everything from sinking in.

jillangel Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 4

Or maybe with the pvc, use that as a chocolate mold, cover in wax paper, dip and harden a few coats til it is sturdy then use that slid in to line the tunnel and be a support. Hope that makes sense because I am bad at describing things also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%