Fuming! Need To Vent!

Business By Nchanted1 Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 12:41am by jillangel

Nchanted1 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 8:40pm
post #1 of 16

I got a call from a woman who found my website. I have prices on there for all to see. She wants a cake she found on the Pink Cake Box web site for her daughter's sweey 16. OK. I gave her a price. She only needs 50 servings, but to make it, it will be 60 servings. So that's $300.

She comes for a tasting. I am happy to do it. BUT, it turns out she has already been working with a local bakery, until she tasted their cake and didn't like it. they gave her a price of $180. So she starts wheedling me, trying to get me to drop my price. Can I make it smaller? No. What if they skip fillings? NO, the price is the same.

Out of curiosity, I asked if she had gotten a price from the actual Pink cake Box, and she had. $850, plus delivery! So I am thinking $300 should look like a bargain. But she's comparing it to the $180 cake she didn't like, not the luxury cake she actually wants.

She's having a hard time with her husband. They have already spent so much on the caricaturist, and the DJ, and the caterer...How can she convince her DH to spring for the cake as well? After all, IT'S JUST CAKE.

How can people say that right to my face?

She raved over the cakes (I had 6 flavors to sample), went crazy for the French Buttercream, gushed over the albums of pictures of past cakes...

Does she say to the caricaturist, it's just paper and ink?
Does she tell the caterer, it's just chicken?

She's a real estate lady. How would she feel if I questioned her commission? All she did was drive around showing houses. For that she gets thousands of dollars?

From now on, anytime Ihear It's just cake I am adding a $50 idiot fee to the cake.

15 replies
tiggy2 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 9:01pm
post #2 of 16

Just amazes me how people can spend so much on some things and expect the cake to be practically free. Tell her you're not K Mart and you don't have "Blue Light Specials". The price is $300 and nothing will change it.

__Jamie__ Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 9:05pm
post #3 of 16

Yup. Smile sweetly and don't entertain attitudes like that at all. Be compassionate and understanding with your replies, but make it quite clear if she needs (sounds like it) a bargain cake, then she should go back to where she can get a bargain cake. icon_smile.gif

prterrell Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 9:09pm
post #4 of 16

Ugh. With an attitude like that, she's probably not a customer you want to deal with anyway.

LaBellaFlor Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 16

LOL!!!!!!! A $50 idiot fee. How nice. I woule be irritated too! I can't believe she went to Pink Cake Box & is complaing about your prices! So glad your not changing your pricing.

diane706 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 9:59pm
post #6 of 16

yep, I feel your frustration! Recently, a lady called up wanting a 3D Tiki cake to serve 150 people. It was a combined neighborhood party for several birthdays and the cost would be split between at least three couples. I gave her a VERY reasonable price but she turned it down because she used up all her $ on the Polynesian dancers, fire blowers, caterer, alcohol and decorations and can't possibly afford that much for "just a cake". HMMMMMMM... what to say, what to say... I know what I WANTED to say!! But I was nice....My fiance keeps telling me that it's not the customer's fault and that they couldn't possibly understand what goes into a cake like this. I suppose I get that but it's still frustrating. Why don't they tell the dancers and fire blowers that they are too expensive?

snarkybaker Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 10:10pm
post #7 of 16

We go through this all the time, and I have had a lot less resistance if we make an estimate that breaks out time and materials -

100 cake servings - $450
materials for custom support - $80
Art charge- 10 hrs@$35 per hour - $350

That way if they want to pay less, they can eliminate the tree trunk support or buy less cake etc...

CakeLadyM Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 10:17pm
post #8 of 16

It's the same thing with weddings. They can spend thousands on the dress, another $5000-10,000 on catering and showcase items, but the cakes--the CENTERPIECES of the whole shebang---they want to spend $200.

I just laugh at these idjits and tell them to call Wally's. There, they can get a frozen slab cake, bucket-oil frosting, and big, large swirls all over the place.

For a custom made, from-scratch, 100% butter product all made fresh to order, they pay me. That is all.

gloriadiaz Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 10:18pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nchanted1

From now on, anytime Ihear It's just cake I am adding a $50 idiot fee to the cake.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif I love it!! Stick to your guns and that´s all there is to it!

tiggy2
" Tell her you're not K Mart and you don't have "Blue Light Specials". The price is $300 and nothing will change it." K-Mart calling! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

mightydragon663 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 10:25pm
post #10 of 16

"Idiot fee" I love it! That's going on my list of things I've got to remember not to forget icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

diane706 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 10:28pm
post #11 of 16

AND along the same lines (I hope I'm not hijacking the post) my shop is in a little mall and I'm surrounded by very upscale pricey hair salons, mani and pedi salons, a tanning place and a couple of massage places and a makeup store (you wouldn't BELIEVE what people pay for this particular brand of makeup!!). Anyway, people are constantly going in for services and products all day every day (which, frankly, makes me think I'm in the wrong business!! icon_wink.gif ). What gives??! Why will people spend so much money on themselves for these types of services but wouldn't think twice about spending that same amount (or LESS) on an edible masterpiece that will create lasting memories not to mention a fabulous centerpiece for the party.?? I guess I'm just cake-minded and shouldn't expect others to feel the same way. icon_redface.gif

indydebi Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 10:58pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Quote:

After all, IT'S JUST CAKE

"Ohhhhhhh! You wanted JUST CAKE!!!!! Walmart. Aisle 8. Knock yourself out. THanks for coming by!"

Deb_ Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 11:04pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane706

AND along the same lines (I hope I'm not hijacking the post) my shop is in a little mall and I'm surrounded by very upscale pricey hair salons, mani and pedi salons, a tanning place and a couple of massage places and a makeup store (you wouldn't BELIEVE what people pay for this particular brand of makeup!!). Anyway, people are constantly going in for services and products all day every day (which, frankly, makes me think I'm in the wrong business!! icon_wink.gif ). What gives??! Why will people spend so much money on themselves for these types of services but wouldn't think twice about spending that same amount (or LESS) on an edible masterpiece that will create lasting memories not to mention a fabulous centerpiece for the party.?? I guess I'm just cake-minded and shouldn't expect others to feel the same way. icon_redface.gif

OK OK, let's not bring us hairstylists in on this...LOL!!! icon_lol.gif

NOW you guys know why I do hair, skin and nails full time and cakes part time.

cathyscakes Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 11:27pm
post #14 of 16

Its because of wal-mart that they can't understand why the cakes prices are so high. I think with the photographer and the flowers, catering, the prices are all similar, high. But the cake, they see the low end of the spectrum with the walmart pricing. People are on budgets so they are trying to cut cost in any way possible, I can understand why they would ask, all you can do is stick to your guns and send them on their way.

indydebi Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 11:52pm
post #15 of 16

no, they do the same thing to caterers, too. I've had to tell more than one bride, "YOu can't buy a Big Mac meal with that kind of budget." Seriously. I have.

And not just brides. I had an organization ....business people! .... who wanted a lunch, dessert, drinks, delivered, disposable dinnerware, set up and clean up ..... for under $6/person! Meal #6 at Wendy's is $6.20 (with tax) ... you don't get a Frosty for dessert, you don't get a plate and fork to eat it off of, and Wendy's dont' deliver.

Dumba$$es.

jillangel Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 12:41am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane706

OK OK, let's not bring us hairstylists in on this...LOL!!! icon_lol.gif

NOW you guys know why I do hair, skin and nails full time and cakes part time.

Here! Here! (Same here thank goodness). Love that people think nothing of spending money to pamper themselves just wish they could get over the 'just cake' mentality! And a caricaturist? Really? Maybe it's me but I can't for the life of me see needing a caricaturist and skimping on the cake. icon_surprised.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%