How To Do This Fondant Only....

Decorating By icer101 Updated 22 Jul 2011 , 1:43am by CakeCrystals

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 18

hi, could anyone tell me how i would do the fondant on this cake i found on c/c... her username is Branka2008.... the cake has 2 bird of paradise on top.. i love the look of the fondant. i have studied and studied it.. i p/m/d her... but she hasn,t p/m/d back.. so if any of you.. would sorta tell me how you would do it.. that would help me get it in my mind... i will give her the credit.. if and when i post the picture.. i have flowers made for a fair cake... it is due in 2 wks.. and , again.. i just love this.. tia

17 replies
pupandbon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pupandbon Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 9:39pm
post #2 of 18

is this the cake you are referring to?

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1317912.html

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 18

Here's a great answer I found on another thread after doing a Google search. Specialized tools and instructional DVD's will get you going in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Buying a Nicholas Lodge DVD as the other poster advised is your best bet. A month ago, I just purchased several of his DVD's, including the Tropical Flowers DVD which teaches all of the flowers you mentioned, plus all of the cutters and veiners to make the flowers on that one DVD for about $300.

Nevermind...I think you're just referring to the fondant? Kind of hard to tell by your post. icon_redface.gif

icer101 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 1:14am
post #4 of 18

sorry jamie... that you didn,t understand my question.. but it does say how to do the fondant only.. plain and simple... i am familiar with nick lodge.... been to his school for a week.. taken 4 classes with him in my area.. have his dvd's... and all of scott wooleys. been making g/p flowers for 14 years... just want to get an idea of how this fondant was put on this particular cake.. pupandbon.. the site didn,t come up.. but it is branka2008.... the one with the bird of paradise on top.. but i am stumped on the how to of the fondant...

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 1:29am
post #5 of 18

I don't think the curved pieces are fondant. They look more lke gumpaste to me.

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:09am
post #6 of 18

I say dried gumpaste or chocolate.... good luck

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 3:01am
post #7 of 18

I would say you could roll out your fondant using cornstarch. Emboss the fondant with this (upper left)...

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product_image.php?img=18012_N8V5R4F2_18012_lg.jpg&w=600

or an overall embossing mat

then use this tool (the one on the far right)....

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product_image.php?img=17998_76HLQD4A_17998_lg.jpg&w=600

Then, use this tool (with the wheel with the teeth...upper right)....

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product_image.php?img=17378_U5SZQ6UD_designwheeler.jpg&w=600

to make the hole pattern between each. Then, cut evenly between mark just made by wheel.

Use this tool (second from left) to make the floral cutout at top of each scallop....

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product_image.php?img=17383_QYTKI7XQ_blossomset.jpg&w=600

Place each panel over dusted dowels for a couple of days to dry. Attach to sides of cake using gum glue. Allow to setup. Airbrush.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 3:06am
post #8 of 18

Got it...plain and simple.... icon_rolleyes.gif

all4cake Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 3:53am
post #9 of 18

It seems simple enough...
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

all4cake Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 3:55am
post #10 of 18

These are the tools I used....

ETA:

I don't have any embossing mats otherwise, I would've included that step as well. icon_lol.gif
LL

icer101 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:09am
post #11 of 18

all4cake... my daugter and i were looking at this again today.. we both thought it was done one panel at the time.. etc.. i have all these tools... i guess i was wanting it not to be one panel at the time.. hello? ha! i guess i was trying to figure out if i could do it in maybe 4-6 " panels.. lay the former under that ,etc. i guess i'd better get started.. but i do love it.. thank you all4cakes for taking your time to show me how you would do it..

all4cake Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:25am
post #12 of 18

long panels seem more difficult to manipulate than individual pieces...especially if they didn't exactly line up / had a gap.

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 10:48am
post #13 of 18

Very sweet of you all4cake to take that extra step and test it for icer101. Now it makes me want to try it. Your panels look really good and great instruction.

patty5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patty5 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:58pm
post #14 of 18

WOW! God Bless you, all4cake! for taking the time to do a step by step to help icer101. thumbs_up.gif

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:44pm
post #15 of 18

It is very Nice Of you to help, with the instructions. I benifited from it also Thank You.

all4cake Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 8:06pm
post #16 of 18

I'm blushing now...

I just figured I'd better test my initial thoughts on how to do it. I'm glad it was found to be useful. As I was doing it, I thought, "hey! this is easier than I thought. I might have to give this a try myself..."

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 11:21pm
post #17 of 18

Thanks so much for showing how to do this. I am making this to place on a wedding cake this week-end...

CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 1:43am
post #18 of 18

I just love this site. I love how everyone pulls together to help fellow cakers. All4cake, thank you so much for sharing how to do this. I too will benefit from your generosity.

Crystal

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%