Just Need Some Evalutation On My Website

Business By Dreme Updated 1 Oct 2009 , 4:31am by CakeDiva73

Dreme Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 23

Before I really get my site out there I need it to be evaluated. I need feedback on the following:

1. How it shows up in the browser and the broswer type being used
2. Page and image loading time
3. Ease of navigation
4. Thoughts on design and layout
5. Use of image gallery
6. Easy to understand and follow
7. Ease of finding information
8. Interest level on a scale of 1 to 10

Any other feedback or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Will try and update the site as I get feedback.

Thanks for helping!

www.dremecakeartistry.com

22 replies
ClancyJane Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 23

I just checked out your site using IE 8. It displayed very well. I liked the color combinations...very eye catching! It loaded fairly quickly, though some of the larger cake photos in the gallery took a bit longer to load. The one thing I didn't like was that I was unsure how to exit the gallery slideshow...maybe you could put click to close in small print somewhere on the page? Or mention it in the thumbnail gallery? But overall, I liked it. thumbs_up.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 23

My first question is what's the difference between vanilla, yellow, and butter cake. I have cake and white cake. Regular cake has butter and vanilla in it and is yellow. White cake just has the egg whites, making it white and ultering the texture a little. Just wondering. Something about your wording on the front doesn't flow right to me. I can't explain how & I'm sorry I'm not being more helpful. But I know there are a couple of people on here who will be along shortly that are GREAT at breaking down websites for their lay-outs and wording. Your cakes are GORGEOUS by the way!

cakesdivine Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 7:58pm
post #4 of 23

You misspelled receipt...on your request a quote page...

You have it spelled reciept (Remember I before E except after C)...LOL!

Dreme Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 8:02pm
post #5 of 23

Thanks guys. Getting on it now.

UpAt2am Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 8:17pm
post #6 of 23

first let me say your cakes are gorgeous!!!!!! i liked the website a lot and it uploaded very fast for me! i would go back and reread some of your wording as well and look for comma splices (you're missing commas where they are needed). overall though, i like the colors and the layout of the website!

Clovers Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 8:24pm
post #7 of 23

I really like it! It loaded well (I'm on I.E., not sure what version), pictures were very fast loading. I didn't read through everything (doing a million things at once), but I did notice that in the blurb about custom cake pricing, the end of the sentence when you're saying that the cake should be unique, take out the word 'be' it makes the sentence awkward.

Great colours, beautiful photos.

PinkLisa Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 8:30pm
post #8 of 23

I would get rid of these two sentences on the front page to focus only on what you do not what you don't do:

No retail bakery items sold here!
There are no baked goods kept on hand for sale.

I also wouldn't personally put that it's a home based business. That may turn some off. I'd rather just say it's by appointment only. They will find out once they call you for an appointment that it's in your home.

I had a large white column on the right side of my screen. I don't know if everyone has this offsetting affect.

I love your gallery. It loaded quickly for me. What program did you use to design the site?

I think the site looks very professional. I really like it alot. It was easy to naviagate around. Good luck!

staceytisdale Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 8:35pm
post #9 of 23

I Love your website! It is very easy to look through. I didn't find that anything took a long time to load. What program did you use to create this website?

veronica720 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 8:48pm
post #10 of 23

Now this is what a cake website should look like!!!!

I think it is great and if I was looking for a cake decorator I would definately contact you after seeing your site. Very professional, elegant, and easy to read.

Your cakes are awesome by the way.

__Jamie__ Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 9:03pm
post #11 of 23

Ooooooo, Margaret Braun style, nice!

Lita829 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 9:19pm
post #12 of 23

I am not a pro when it come to web design but I found your website very easy to navigate. I use IE and it loaded without any problem. It was very straight forward as to what you have to offer and the pics were beautiful.

I'm sure you'll bring in lots of business icon_smile.gif

leahk Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 10:21pm
post #13 of 23

I love your color scheme! I found your website easy to navigate.

To echo pinklisa- I think that the paragraph on the home page is wordy. Try: All goods are made fresh for each order. I only use fresh ingredients and no preservatives. ....

There are a few instances when you are apologetic- don't be! You need to get yourself some spine! Specifically in your FAQ's. No need to apologize for when you don't offer tastings, just state that tasting are available for wedding and larger stackes cakes only.

Don't apologize for your minimum- just restate it.

The answer abt images is wordy. Try:Images may be used as aides in your design. No two orders are exactly and yours will be tailored to meet your specifications.

I know NOTHING abt web design- but can you change the title of your page so your name shows up on the header?

I think you have a great website, and I hope you take my constructive criticism as it was intended- to be helpful!

Good luck!

dandelion56602 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 10:33pm
post #14 of 23

Opening pg is beautiful. Very classy. I would capitalize Dreme at all times. Seems to get lost when it's not

I think that the wording of the 2nd paragraph comes across a little raw & that you have a "better than you" attitude---and I'm sure you don't. We learned in my college that when you use a negative you come across as negative, even if you don't mean to be negative. When people see it, it just registers something in the brain. So, I would stick to "what I do best"---fresh ing, attn to detail, etc.

I would reword a few things in the 2nd paragraph & you need to make some grammatical corrections if you keep the paragraph as is. This is what I would suggest.

When baking a cake for your special occasion, I use only the freshest ingredients---no additives, preservatives or fillers. (if that is true of your baking). All artwork is hand crafted with care and special attention given to detail. If you are interested in purchasing (acquire means more to earn or develop) one of my delicious works of art, click on the "request a quote" tab to get started.

Pick-ups, deliveries, consultations and tastings are all handled through appointments only.----you might want to put this info on the "request a quote" page b/c it really only applies to those who are interested in purchasing a cake.

On your pricing page:
You may want to tell the consumer what is included in your base price. Do you have a base price for your cakes? What if someone just wanted a white cake w/ happy birthday written? They'll pay, but that should be a base price you could list. Even though you give a picture of the cookies & what is included it's somewhat confusing. Maybe "Custom card attached to bag with a colored bow"; then the flat wrap & bow tied are what's confusing me. What's the difference between a label & card? What's flat wrapped? Bag is tied w/ a bow/ribbon, not ribbon/bow tied to the bag. Is a large bow like a gift box bow? Is it fabric? etc. Again, at the bottom is the "no" plain items..... "At this time, I do not sell undecorted cookies. All items will require a solid color icing in the event colors or Dreme colors." I would suggest considering selling undecorated cookies as a pkg. You don't have to, but you might appeal to bday parties---kids love decorating their own cookies! Maybe 1 doz undecorated cookies, 3 colors of RI, # of bags, etc for a set price. Just a thought

Request a Quote:
1st sentence: change to "information below" instead of below info. The last of request info----"Describe any ideas or notes about the event that you would like to include,"

Consultations:
Just an idea after reading many "terror" posts. You may something like "due to time limits and space it is recommended children not attend". You may even charge $50/person over the 3 b/c "his mom, my mom, my bridesmaid, my event planner, etc really want to come"
Ordering:Orders needed within one week of the event date may incur a rush fee (,)

I'm so not trying to pick your site apart or be negative, so please don't take it that way. i would want someone to help me & go through it w/ a fine tooth comb. It's like a term paper--it's hard to step back & take a good look when you've been involved w/ it. These are just suggestions to help clarify for a consumer.

Your cakes are amazingly beautiful & I know you're going to have some major success!!!!!

cakegrandma Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 11:06pm
post #15 of 23

I love your sight and I think that it is very easy to navigate. The cakes, all I can say is WOW!!! I loved them! I did have some suggestions for wording and the only reason why is because I used to do manuals for training and they were proofed and I learned that what I thought was good, wasn't always. Hopefully this will help you. I would write Dreme is owned and operated by ...., specializing in artistry of cakes as well as cupcakes, cookies, confections and other baked goods. We are located in Raleigh and serve the surrounding areas.
I would take out no real baked goods and replace it with -- All of our bakery items are made fresh to order with only the finest, freshest ingredients and no preservatives. Also remove the no baked goods on hand.
Last, where you tell them to acquire a work of art to visit the request a quote page I would put quotation marks around the request a quote part.
I think this is just minor cleaning up otherwise your site is magnificent and the cakes are to die for. You should get tons of business from it. You go girl and good luck!!!!
evelyn

Ruth0209 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 11:15pm
post #16 of 23

I think it's a beautiful web site. It opened quickly and navigated very well. Your cakes are magnificent!

You do have quite a few typing and grammatical errors in the text, such as no spacing between some words, missing commas where needed, incomplete sentences, misspellings, etc. I recommend you find a good technical writer/editor to proof the text. That'll make it easier to read and more professional.

I agree with the other suggestions and observations regarding the use of negatives.

letsgetcaking Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 1:43am
post #17 of 23

I really don't have much to add. Everyone has given great advice.

I just wanted to say that I love your cakes, too! I also love the colors on your site. They are very modern and memorable.

I am using Internet Explorer and every page and photo opened up in less than a second. Congratulations on a great site!

Dreme Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:30am
post #18 of 23

Thank you everyone!

PinkLisa: I had the problem with the white column on another computer I was using. I think it may be an issue with windows xp or the monitor size. Do the colors show up as black, super lime green and hot pink as well? Couldnt fix any of those problems from that computer so I started working on it from my laptop. Shows up fine on it.

The site was made and hosted at squarespace but I created my own template instead of theirs and made my own graphics.

JGMB Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 12:40pm
post #19 of 23

I didn't read all of the previous replies, so someone may have pointed these out already, but here goes:

On the home page, the word "forward" is missing the letter r.

On the Pumpkin Cake page, it says "for your guest" -- it should say guests.
Also on that page, Thanksgiving should be capitalized.

On the Prices page, the sentence "No two events are ever the same and neither should your cake" doesn't make sense. It needs to be reworded.

On the Request a Quote page, there is a place where one sentence ends, then there is no space after the period and the next sentence starts "please. . . " You should put some spaces between the 2 sentences and capitalize "please"

Also on that page, a sentence says "Please allow up 24 hours" it should say "up to 24 hours"

You make beautiful, beautiful confections!!!!

minicuppie Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:29am
post #20 of 23

Forgive me if this has been discussed...the delivery info is a bit clumsy. Instead of "if absolutely necessary" maybe it could say all orders requiring setup, such as weddings and multi tier cakes will have the delivery fee itemized on contract. We will, however deliver your order within a (whatever) mile radius. Charges are based on distance to delivery location. (or something like that). On a whole I really like your site. VERY user friendly.

DefyGravity Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 3:45am
post #21 of 23

I think someone else mentioned they were having problems with your framing, and I am too. I have to scroll to the right to see all of the page. Not a huge deal, but its annoying. If others aren't having that problem, I don't know what is causing it then... Hmm...

On your pricing page, the word Dreme needs to be capitalized at the bottom, when talking about the "Dreme labels".

Your website is great, and your cakes are absolutely gorgeous!

CupCake_Caitlin Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 4:23am
post #22 of 23

Yes, I have the white bar at the side of the screen...

**Make NOTE - Give this a Try**

What I did is hold down the Ctrl (Control Key) and scrolled down using my mouse.. usually mouses these days come with the little scroll thing in the middle....

scroll down till the page gets SMALLER and centred... I think it looks better this way... have a try every one... I think its because our computer screens arent as "wide" as the new ones

CakeDiva73 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 4:31am
post #23 of 23

I just looked for a minute and like it but when I clicked on gallery, it took me to a page and your header didn't follow. I had to click the back button to get back. Now this is probably no big deal, but as an internet shopper (and browser) I love when the page header follows me, allowing me to jump to different pages, etc. without having to click the back button. HTH

** I really like your name/logo - it's very clean and timeless.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%