Scroll Work

Decorating By Mel2085 Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 12:31pm by meri1028

Mel2085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel2085 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 7

Okay CC's I need some help. I want to start doing scroll work, but I don't know how to begin! What suggestions do you have? Do you use a pattern or do you just wing it? I've seen some AMAZING work on here and want to know how you do it and do it well!!

Thanks In Advance!

Melissa

6 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 7:46pm
post #2 of 7

Wilton makes a scroll work pattern press set which I use occasionally. Sometimes I use a visual aid, like a nice scroll pattern on the bodice of a wedding gown, for example. Other times I just go for it.

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 7

Great question. Scroll work is the one thing that scares me the most. It seems like those that are really good at it move fast. That seems to keep the lines from getting wiggly. I just signed up for Michelle Bommerito's class on scrollwork. I hope I learn a lot from that. I'll be interested in everyone else's responses.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 7

i have the blue kit, but like you i don't move fast enough have to practice. i have mentioned this before but try the henna page and it will say free patterns, click on that and it will show a list of pattern's click on each and it will show you the s for example and what you can add to it. you can print what pages you want. and then make a template like some have said use a wire and curl the end up so you can press in, alot of henna patterns have alot of scroll work. and the basics hope it helps

yeny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yeny Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 12:08am
post #5 of 7

can you use melting choc. to do scrolling? or do i just thin out the icing?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 1:38am
post #6 of 7

Add corn syrup to buttercream to thin or use royal icing.

meri1028 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meri1028 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 12:31pm
post #7 of 7

I'm a perfectionist so I haven't allowed myself to do it freehand yet. I have used the planet cake idea of using tracing paper or parchment paper to trace an image onto - front & back with a non-toxic pencil, then place it onto the fondant & rub your pencil onto the image. This transfers onto the fondant. I use that as a guide for me. I hope that makes sense. You can see in my photos - the one time I've done it. I was happy with the results. I just did a google image search for scroll work, then made the image as big as I needed. I also used royal icing & had no problem at all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%