Toddlers Eating Hours Of Work

Decorating By letsgetcaking Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 4:25pm by eatdessert1st

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:30pm
post #31 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by luddroth

My girls always have been happy with the bowls and beaters, but the dogs are another story. I left a lattice crust blueberry pie (for the family) cooling way back on the counter. When I went back to check on it, it had been carefully pulled forward to the very edge of the counter and the entire center of it was missing. I thought it might have been the kids until I saw the dog -- his muzzle was a tell-tale shade of deep blue and he definitely had blueberry breath!

I had tenants who had two cats, which kept gaining weight for no apparent reason. They finally discovered that when one of them would make brownies, cookies, etc. and leave them on the counter for the other person to have later, the cats would steal the entire plate and drag it under the sink in the pantry, where they could hide and eat the goodies! They said that they were always wondering why the other person was such a pig that they'd eat the entire plate of brownies, but never said anything. They found a stash of paper plates, tinfoil, etc. under the sink and figured it out.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:50pm
post #32 of 56

Good thing all I have to worry about is my cat...he LOVES buttercream!

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:06pm
post #33 of 56
Quote:
Quote:

I had tenants who had two cats, which kept gaining weight for no apparent reason. They finally discovered that when one of them would make brownies, cookies, etc. and leave them on the counter for the other person to have later, the cats would steal the entire plate and drag it under the sink in the pantry, where they could hide and eat the goodies! They said that they were always wondering why the other person was such a pig that they'd eat the entire plate of brownies, but never said anything. They found a stash of paper plates, tinfoil, etc. under the sink and figured it out.

icon_lol.gif

Cats are hilarious! My mom's cat used to eat a hole through a bread bag and eat the bread!

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:07pm
post #34 of 56

Tiffany29 - You're kidding - eating through bread bags was our dear old cat's worst habit!!! Especially if you didn't notice right away and all was stale (not to mention cat slobbery!) I kind of miss those antics - he died 4 months ago, 1 week shy of his 24th birthday!

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:21pm
post #35 of 56

And then there was the time we hid Easter eggs all over the house and went to church. When we got home, we discovered that my sister's black lab apparently thought all the goodies at her eye level were for her -- she ate at least a dozen (and we saw all the colored shells later -- where, you can guess!).

jdconcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdconcc Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:26pm
post #36 of 56

Ohh you have my sympathy, twice my daughter has got at mine, luckily just dummy ones but still I was torn between laughing and crying. I really should have learnt my lesson the first time, but no I left her on the same floor as my store room happily playing with shoes, I turn my back for five mins (probably to be on here) and she sneaks in. Last time she ate the head of the model of me as a bride and her bouquet, that's a lot of e numbers (artificial colours) for a two year old, definitely learnt my lesson this time!

I only bake when she's around never ice, she would just distract me too much, but as soon as she hears the beaters go she's there waiting for her bowl and spoon icon_smile.gif

Tiffany29 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:27pm
post #37 of 56
Quote:
Quote:

shebaben

Tiffany29 - You're kidding - eating through bread bags was our dear old cat's worst habit!!! Especially if you didn't notice right away and all was stale (not to mention cat slobbery!) I kind of miss those antics - he died 4 months ago, 1 week shy of his 24th birthday

I am sorry to hear about your cat. icon_sad.gif
Not kidding! It used to drive us crazy! She eats plants too. She is a funny cat. She always tells my mom when it's time for her to go to bed, and she yells at you if she doesn't like her food!

amielyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amielyn Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:29pm
post #38 of 56

I don't have any kids of my own yet, but I am usually pretty patient with them. I have taught a couple of kids decorating classes, and had a blast! But, I have had one kid related disaster. When my two youngest sisters graduated high school a couple years ago, there were five young people in our church graduating at the same time, so we had one big party at the church for them. I made a big sheetcake to be served at the party, and then I made individual book cakes for each one, with the title of the book related to their interests. I was soo proud of how it turned out, and each graduate was going to take their book cake home. However, after the party, as we were wrapping the cakes, we found that someone with very small fingers had poked holes in the back of each of the book cakes. Not just one, but EVERY one! I think it's a good thing we never found out who did it!

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 10:54pm
post #39 of 56

Ahhh, the sweet babies! I've converted my dining room into my cake supply room & use it to store my cakes when I'm not working on them. One day I had an order of truffles and brownies sitting out on the table. I come downstairs to the kitchen to see my chocolate faced 2 year old son chewing. I snapped "Where did you get that?" and he looked at me and replied, "From the cake store". Too cute!

Shannie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 11:10pm
post #40 of 56

"Cake Store" I love it!!

Shebaben- sorry to hear about your cat hun. 24 years is quite a while for a house cat, I bet he was alot of fun.

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 11:19pm
post #41 of 56

My son asked for a Star Wars cake for his birthday last April. He wanted a Lego Luke Skywalker and his x-wing fighter. I made a little Luke and a Little R2D2 out of fondant. I didn't take pictures, but I wish I would have. They were actually quite good. icon_smile.gif

Well, the next day, I couldn't find the Luke. My son told me that he was playing with it and lost it. Grrrr. He knows he's not allowed to touch my stuff, but the temptaions of a 4 year old are sometimes too tough to handle. Anyway, I asked him in every way I knew how if he had eaten it: "What did it taste like?" "Was it yummy?" "How was the orange part?" But he kept insisting that he didn't eat it.

I didn't make him a Star Wars cake. I didn't want to reward him for what he did. Even if he hadn't eaten the Luke, he did lose it.

Fast forward to this week (remember his birthday was in April...almost 6 months ago). Out of the blue, he came up to me and said, "Mom, I'm sorry I ate the Luke for my Star Wars cake." icon_eek.gif I asked him to tell me about it. Here's his story: When he saw Luke on the counter, he just wanted to look at him, so he picked him up. Then he wanted to taste him, so he took "just a tiny little nibble." Well, when he nibbled him, Luke fell apart. My son didn't want to get in trouble for breaking Luke, so he just ate the whole thing. Which apparently was very yummy, by the way. icon_lol.gif I was trying so hard to contain my laughs while he was telling me the story. Little booger.

I usually put things away, but I didn't that time, expecting that he would respect that the things were for HIS cake. Oh well. Lesson learned!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 11:28pm
post #42 of 56

[quote="SpringFlour"]My son asked for a Star Wars cake for his birthday last April. He wanted a Lego Luke Skywalker and his x-wing fighter. I made a little Luke and a Little R2D2 out of fondant. I didn't take pictures, but I wish I would have. They were actually quite good. icon_smile.gif

quote]

I remember this story from when he ate it! Poor kid, he's probably been feeling guilty this whole time. I bet he won't do it again, sounds like he's punished himself enough!

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 11:33pm
post #43 of 56
Quote:
Quote:

I remember this story from when he ate it! Poor kid, he's probably been feeling guilty this whole time. I bet he won't do it again, sounds like he's punished himself enough!

He's not the guilty-feeling kind. icon_lol.gif I think he brought it up because he was preparing to tell me what kind of cake he wanted for his next birthday. He's a sneaky little guy. icon_lol.gif Of course he wants the same Star Wars cake for his next birthday.

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 11:40pm
post #44 of 56

[quote="SpringFlour"]
Fast forward to this week (remember his birthday was in April...almost 6 months ago). Out of the blue, he came up to me and said, "Mom, I'm sorry I ate the Luke for my Star Wars cake." icon_eek.gif I asked him to tell me about it. Here's his story: When he saw Luke on the counter, he just wanted to look at him, so he picked him up. Then he wanted to taste him, so he took "just a tiny little nibble." Well, when he nibbled him, Luke fell apart. My son didn't want to get in trouble for breaking Luke, so he just ate the whole thing. Which apparently was very yummy, by the way. icon_lol.gif I was trying so hard to contain my laughs while he was telling me the story. Little booger.

quote]

Isn't it funny how their little minds work! My son, now 6 has done a few things like that, we are trying to teach him that lying only prolongs the agony! He comes up with random things at the strangest times.
Cats - how many stories will come out - they are so sneaky! I shudder to think how many things I have eaten, that the cat got to first (when I was younger and living at home!) My mum was always of the opinion waste not want not and would always say, "We'll just cut that bit off!" Then they come and curl up on your lap with a full belly - you cant stay mad! icon_lol.gif

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:55am
post #45 of 56

well this thread has cheered me up at 2am in the morning when i am unable to sleep icon_confused.gif my lovely little angel thinks that fondant and gumpaste is mummies playdough and loves to steal it when i am not looking to play with it icon_lol.gif she is also a bowl and spoon licker and I have to hide the bowl until I am completely finished or she has her head in it licking all around icon_rolleyes.gif

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:09am
post #46 of 56

ROFL! Oh dear, it's good to know my kids aren't the only ones!

Tiffany29 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 10:02am
post #47 of 56
Quote:
Quote:

this thread has cheered me up at 2am in the morning when i am unable to sleep my lovely little angel thinks that fondant and gumpaste is mummies playdough and loves to steal it when i am not looking to play with it she is also a bowl and spoon licker and I have to hide the bowl until I am completely finished or she has her head in it licking all around

My son is the same way. Anything smooshy like playdough he loves. I give him little pieces of fondant to play with.

A few weeks ago his uncle fixed our sink and gave the kids some plumbers putty to play with. One day last week I saw a ball sticking to the door way off of the kitchen, covering the head of a nail! Ah, kids!

midlight21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midlight21 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 12:12am
post #48 of 56

LOL. Sorry...I know how you feel! It took a few cakes and large chunks of them before I figured out that making cupcakes for my four year old will get him to leave my cakes alone. I've also had an entire plate of flowers disappear as well. He admitted to eating them too!

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 4:43am
post #49 of 56

Oh my gosh, she WAS LITERALLY CAUGHT RED HANDED. HA. That's to cute. Sorry about your transfer, but it's not just kids you have to worry about. My husbands always creeping around the kitchen wanting to know if there are any scraps too. I've got to learn how to make those cake balls for my crew.

seasonsmoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seasonsmoke Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 8:58pm
post #50 of 56

I'm so sorry your hard work was messed up. She is really cute while eating your master piece.

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 11:12am
post #51 of 56

Thank you everyone for your sweet comments. I just wanted to update anyone who wondered that I finally redid the transfer. It stayed out of reach this time, made it to the cake, and was delivered in great shape. Here it is. I think the outlining turned out much better this time.
LL

Tiffany29 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 11:28am
post #52 of 56

It turned out great!!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 2:34pm
post #53 of 56

Been there, done that, have the T-shirt, but it was a big 18 inch round bottom tier of a wedding cake only 3 hours before delivery to a family friend! My son is now 18 and I still go into a panic if he comes into the kitchen if I am doing a cake for the family! (client cakes are done in the comm kitchen I rent...he isn't there...LOL)

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 3:37pm
post #54 of 56

Thank you, Tiffany29!

Cakesdivine, oh your story is sad! I know I would have cried over that one! I'm glad to know your son made it to 18. icon_smile.gif Kidding, of course. icon_smile.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 4:05pm
post #55 of 56

Believe me I did, and refused to do cakes for big events for family for several years. We then built a house and had a separate detached custom comm kitchen that I used for my biz...the child was forbidden to even look that direction when I was working...LOL!

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 4:25pm
post #56 of 56

Your RIT is gorgeous! When my 2 eldest kids were a bit less than 2 yrs old I'd find them hiding under the dining room table munching down on fondant bows, pearls, anything I'd been working on. It's hard to find good out of reach places for little hands! Now my 4 yr old comes tearing into the kitchen whenever she hears the kitchenaid turn on yelling "I want some! I want some!" My 12 yr old still throws her pre-teen dignity to the wind when it comes to licking a mixing bowl clean. They never outgrow that little obsession w/ sugar stuff icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%