Fondant Vs Gumpaste To Create Figures

Decorating By terrijproductions Updated 29 Sep 2009 , 6:09pm by rainbow_kisses

terrijproductions Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 5:14pm
post #1 of 7

I plan to make little figures for an upcoming cake. I've used gum paste in the past and found that if I had to play with it too much to get the look I wanted it started getting cracked and dry looking. Is it better to use fondant for this purpose? Will it dry hard enough for the figure to stand on its own? Or should I still use gum paste for this purpose?

Also, what do you need to add to fondant to make it dry hard like gum paste?

Thanks for your help!

6 replies
2SchnauzerLady Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 7

I've seen a lot of cc'ers use a 50/50 mix of gumpaste and fondant with great results. HTH

CakeMommyTX Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 7

I add Tylose powder to my mmf for figures.
It drys hard and holds its shape.
Good Luck.

Win Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 5:34pm
post #4 of 7

I do a lot of figures and have come up with about a 60/50 mixture of gumpaste to fondant. It dries well, but still gives me time to work with the figure before it firms up too much.

Win Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 7

Also, you mention standing figures. You need to make sure you have an inner support system such as spaghetti or toothpicks. They tend to want to fall over if they don't have a "spine." icon_biggrin.gif

terrijproductions Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 5:45pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you all so much for the suggestions! I will definitely have to try mixing fondant and gum paste. And I'll give the figures a toothpick "spine." icon_smile.gif

rainbow_kisses Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 6:09pm
post #7 of 7

i use a 50/50 mix and also keep my hands moistened with white fat to help keep the model moist and workable until i am finished

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%