I Have A Few Questions Please

Decorating By luvbugcreations Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 12:17am by scrumpot

luvbugcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbugcreations Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 8

at the risk of sounding stupid I am going to make the recipe from here easy gumpaste and it is calling for glucose it is my assumption that this is also known as light corn syrup?

Also has anyone ever tried Alice's Cookie icing from our recipe section sounds good but not sure?

Toba's glace can I substitue water for milk? I have someone that wants milk free and I like the way this glace works.

Last I am getting ready right now to make Antonia74 ri. it calls for 2.25lbs of powder sugar I do not have a scale and purchase my ps in 2lb bags it is again my assumption that 4 cups =1lb so for .25 of lb that would be an extra 1 cup of powder sugar right?

thanks just making sure
of my assumptions we all know what happens when we assume

Kerri

7 replies
nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 8

Not sure about your other questions, but I can answer your powdered sugar one....
1 pound of powdered sugar is 3 3/4 cups, so 2.25 pounds would be 7 3/4 cups

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 4:04pm
post #3 of 8

There is no such thing as a stupid question you know!! icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbugcreations

at the risk of sounding stupid I am going to make the recipe from here easy gumpaste and it is calling for glucose it is my assumption that this is also known as light corn syrup?

I don't think they are always the same. Glucose syrup contains just syrup but light corn syrup (Karo brand at least) contains light corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, salt and vanilla. The amount of glucose can range from 15-98% in corn syrup. (Thank you Google! lol) I have no idea if they can be used interchangeablly, from what I read online it depends on the brand and recipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbugcreations

Last I am getting ready right now to make Antonia74 ri. it calls for 2.25lbs of powder sugar I do not have a scale and purchase my ps in 2lb bags it is again my assumption that 4 cups =1lb so for .25 of lb that would be an extra 1 cup of powder sugar right?

Before I purchased a scale I made that assumption and icings usually worked out good! I haven't followed that particular recipe, but I would go with 9 cups. icon_smile.gif Now that I have a scale, I do weigh most things and they seem to turn out better!!

I hope I might have helped, at least a bit... icon_smile.gif

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 4:06pm
post #4 of 8

Hmmm, In Wilton classes we were told that 2 lbs = 8 cups! I haven't done the measuring myself, but it likely depends on whether your sugar is sifted 10x or not?

I believe you may be able to find glucose at a make-your-own-beer spot, if you have those around!!

nonnyscakes Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 4:10pm
post #5 of 8

I buy my powdered sugar in 2 pound bags, so when a recipe calls for 1 pound I must measure it out because I don't have a scale. In my experience, a 2 pound bag of powdered sugar contains 7 1/2 cups when measured without sifting.

luvbugcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbugcreations Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 4:13pm
post #6 of 8

Hi thank you all for your help. lees_luv you helped me with my eyes lol and you come to the rescue again thanks.

kay_nl Thanks as well and just something off subject and by your ticker at the end of your post couldn't help but say I have been there and great job keep up the good work when I started that journey of my life my bmi was 34.9 now it is 21.6 long road but a good one. enjoy your journey

kerri

nonnyscakes Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 8

I found this on ochef<dot>com:

In cooking terms, corn syrup in this country is very often referred to as glucose. But it is not pure glucose; it also contains a fair bit of another, more complex, sugar, dextrin. Also, in that corn is largely an American crop, corn syrup has not been widely available in Europe. So your European cookbooks are really calling for pure glucose, which has probably been processed from grapes or honey.

Pure liquid glucose is available in supermarkets in Europe, but is harder to find in the US. So now that you've learned all that you need to, either track down some glucose, or use light corn syrup in your baking and frosting projects.

scrumpot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumpot Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 12:17am
post #8 of 8

Well I live in Utah (yea I know) here we have craft stores like Micheal's or Joann's. These stores sell craft items as well as wilton items you use to bake with. I got lucky and found glucous and other things I needed for baking. So try calling the party supply store's and your craft store's to see if they might sell baking stuff besides crafts. Hopefully you'll get lucky and they do. I hope this helped you out...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%