How Much Would You Charge For This Cake?

Decorating By grossoutqueen Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 4:55pm by prterrell

grossoutqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grossoutqueen Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 5

O.K. So I have my very first paying customer which is exciting and freaking scary at the same time. Until now, I have just done stuff for friends and family, so no payments were made.

I am going to offer her two options and I would like your imput on what you would charge for these... Also, she said she needs to serve about 40 people.

1) A 1/2 sheet cake decorated to look like a football field with buttercream grass and the yard lines and such, field goals made out of fondant and she wants 2 specific actual score boards from previous games printed out and used as score boards. On the field I will have one football player (Patriots)sculpted from fondant laying down. Then 2 more football players (one a Skins player and one a Giants player) sculpted but standing above the other guy.

2) A cheaper option for her would be the same field, with grass and field goals and score boards but instead of the players I would just make the logos for the 3 different teams and place them on the field.

What do you think is a resonable price for these two choices? I was thinking $150 for the first and around $120 for the second. Still not sure though.

4 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 5

My regular half sheet cakes go for $50...that's very little decoration...writing, a few embellishments and trim. For a football field with the two logos I would charge 75 and with all the fondant characters and goal posts and all it would be 150.

good luck!

Cat

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:28am
post #3 of 5

I think $150 and $120 sound good because that's a bunch of detail.

CakeJediChic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeJediChic Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:37am
post #4 of 5

im on par with the previous 2. im cheaper in my area to stay competitive, so i charge a bit lower. For example, im doing a 1/2 sheet cake, bc with gumpaste accents - turntable cake for $75

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 5

My 12x18 base price is $216, extra depending on complexity of design. I would charge $350 for option 1 and $250 for option two.

ETA: a 12x18 is 108 1"x2"x4" sized servings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%