How Much Would You Charge For This Cake?

Decorating By grossoutqueen Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 4:55pm by prterrell

grossoutqueen Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 5

O.K. So I have my very first paying customer which is exciting and freaking scary at the same time. Until now, I have just done stuff for friends and family, so no payments were made.

I am going to offer her two options and I would like your imput on what you would charge for these... Also, she said she needs to serve about 40 people.

1) A 1/2 sheet cake decorated to look like a football field with buttercream grass and the yard lines and such, field goals made out of fondant and she wants 2 specific actual score boards from previous games printed out and used as score boards. On the field I will have one football player (Patriots)sculpted from fondant laying down. Then 2 more football players (one a Skins player and one a Giants player) sculpted but standing above the other guy.

2) A cheaper option for her would be the same field, with grass and field goals and score boards but instead of the players I would just make the logos for the 3 different teams and place them on the field.

What do you think is a resonable price for these two choices? I was thinking $150 for the first and around $120 for the second. Still not sure though.

4 replies
catlharper Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 5

My regular half sheet cakes go for $50...that's very little decoration...writing, a few embellishments and trim. For a football field with the two logos I would charge 75 and with all the fondant characters and goal posts and all it would be 150.

good luck!

cylstrial Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:28am
post #3 of 5

I think $150 and $120 sound good because that's a bunch of detail.

CakeJediChic Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:37am
post #4 of 5

im on par with the previous 2. im cheaper in my area to stay competitive, so i charge a bit lower. For example, im doing a 1/2 sheet cake, bc with gumpaste accents - turntable cake for $75

prterrell Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 5

My 12x18 base price is $216, extra depending on complexity of design. I would charge $350 for option 1 and $250 for option two.

ETA: a 12x18 is 108 1"x2"x4" sized servings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%