Wow...made Mmf In My Ka

Decorating By TheBlonde Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 1:11pm by mgwebb68

TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 12:44pm
post #1 of 18

I read a post a couple weeks ago about someone making MMF in their KA. I've always made mine by hand and didn't think the KA would work. Well I tried it last night and it came out perfect!!! So much easier and faster than doing it by hand. Of course I had to knead it a little after the KA was done working it's magic but nothing compaired to making it by hand. If you haven't tried it you need to!!!

17 replies
countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 1:10pm
post #2 of 18

icon_smile.gif May I ask what recipe you used? I need to make some.....might get to it today. Thanks!

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 18

Aren't you scared it will burn the motor out of your KA?

TheBlonde Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 1:56pm
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrycakes

icon_smile.gif May I ask what recipe you used? I need to make some.....might get to it today. Thanks!

I put a bag of mini-marshmellows in the microwave with 2 tablespoons of water. Usually takes about 2 minutes for it all to melt. I then pour about 1lb of PS in my KA and pour the melted MM on top of the PS. I used the hook attachment. Kept it on low and added PS as needed. When it looked about done I took it out and kneaded it a little. DO NOT FORGET to coat EVERYTHING in Crisco (bowl you melt the MM in, KA bowl, and hook EVERYTHING)

TheBlonde Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 1:57pm
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageMom

Aren't you scared it will burn the motor out of your KA?

Nope, you just need to make sure it's not working too hard. If you start to notice that it's struggling take it out and knead it. It's pretty much almost done when your KA starts to struggle anyways.

DLo912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DLo912 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 2:13pm
post #6 of 18

Remember, also, to keep your KA on the lowest setting or maybe one above that! And as TheBlonde said, Crisco Crisco Crisco everything you will be using to make the MMF!! It's essential or you will be fighting with the melted marshmallow throughout the entire process!

asanchez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asanchez Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 2:26pm
post #7 of 18

Hello everyone.

I am having a senior moment!! What is PS?

LULABEL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LULABEL Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 2:43pm
post #8 of 18

Powdered Sugar

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:45pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by asanchez

Hello everyone.

I am having a senior moment!! What is PS?

mouse over PS and a popup will come up and tells you, this can be done with most int. HTH

pregu2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pregu2 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 4:51pm
post #10 of 18

I am getting ready to making MMF for the first time tomorrow so thank you for the tips! I shall let you know how it turns out.

I did hear that MMF isn't as workable as the store bought and other recipie. Does anyone find this fondant harder to work with or not quite as nice looking as the other stuff?

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 9:25pm
post #11 of 18

I was having a horrible time working with fondant until I found the recipe listed above. Now, that's all I use. It works great every time and if I need it to be a color, I just add the color into the melted marshmallows and I'm done.

As mentioned, Crisco, Crisco, Crisco. The bowl you melt the marshmallows in, and the bowl of your KA. Not a heavy coating, just make sure it's covered. Keep the speed on low, just as you would for making bread dough. It works great. I have discovered that if it forms a ball in the mixer then it's too stiff and will be too dry, so I just add a drop of water at a time until it loosens back up. I don't even need to do any kneading when it's done. I just wrap it up and let it set until I'm ready to use it. Sometimes it's a little stiff, but I just pop it in the microwave for a few seconds and knead it a little and it's fine.

omgcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
omgcake Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 11:24pm
post #12 of 18

is MMF better then fondant? easier to work with? icon_confused.gif

d3sc3n7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d3sc3n7 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 11:56pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgcake

is MMF better then fondant? easier to work with? icon_confused.gif

It tastes alot better than most store bought types...if you get it right, it can be really easy to work with. Then again, so can things like satin ice. I prefer MMF over all though.

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:41am
post #14 of 18

It made mmf about a month ago in my KA after I watched a video on you tube on how to do it and it was so easy. There is no way I'd have the patients to it my hand!!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:54am
post #15 of 18

Did I read in another post, that if you have trouble with KA and tell them you made fondant in it, that negates the warranty? Just thought I remembered this not so long ago.

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 10:17am
post #16 of 18

Thanks madge, That's good to know. Guess I'll have to start making it by hand!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 10:45am
post #17 of 18

I've always done it in my KA. Of course I own an older model, Hobart made one. I use the dough hook and it doesn't drag any more than bread dough.

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 1:11pm
post #18 of 18

I know they will negate the warranty if you tell them you used the pasta roller to roll fondant.

I use my "Old Faithful" KA, it's at least 16 years old and a work horse. No way would I use my new one to make it, I love my new one, but it just doesn't sound as hefty when I turn it on. I think my old one is a Hobart made, but I'm not sure. I know it weighs about twice as much as the new one I bought and the new one is twice as big.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%