Few Questions For A First Wedding Cake

Decorating By kel58 Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 1:12pm by kel58

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 12:43pm
post #1 of 3

I am making my first wedding cake. Its 3 tiers (stacked) Ivory fondant. I am making some fall leaves cascade down it and was wondering do i use gum paste or fondant? or a mix of both? And what exactly is Gum-Tex? The bride likes the rose leaf press and cut set. So i bought it and tried it out last night. Any tips on how to get the leaf out of the cutter without wreaking it? (Im sure there is other posts on this but i cant find them) How long can this cake sit out unrefriderated? I usually use 1/2 short 1/2 butter and milk in my buttercream. If i can the milk can it stay out longer. I was planning on completing the cake on the Friday night and delivery will be around 3:30 on sat. I have no idea when they are acutally serving the cake but i would say after the 6:30 dinner. And what im hoping is my last questions.. the bride would like a mocha filling. Is there a way i can make it that is doesnt need to keep cold?
Thanks you for reading
Kel icon_smile.gif

2 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 3

Do you want the leaves to still be malleable when you place them on the cake? If so, use fondant only and place them before they dry.

If you want the leaves to be completely dry before attaching, use gumpaste or gumpaste-fondant mix.

Gum-tex is an ingredient in gumpaste.

Roll the fondant/gumpaste out as thin as possible and then let it firm up by sitting out a few minutes (maybe 5 for gumpaste, 10-15 for fondant) before you use the cutters. Rock the cutter around slightly after presssing it through.

Your icing recipe is fine. If you're worried about the small amount of milk, substitute water for it. For a non-perishable mocha filling, mix instant mocha powder (the stuff that's in the coffee aisle at the store) with just enough hot water to form a thick slurry (about the thickness of a milkshake) and add that to your buttercream. Sorry, can't give amounts, you'll have to do it "to taste".

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks a lot for your advice!! I did try letting my fondant/gumpaste harden slightly before using the leaf press set but they still get stuck up in the cutter. I can pry them out though and repair any damage done. Thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%