Preparing A Novelty Cake Base

Decorating By bethangradford Updated 29 Sep 2009 , 12:00pm by Caths_Cakes

bethangradford Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 9:48am
post #1 of 3

once the sponge is shaped and has the choosen filling eg butter cream, jam, how do you attach the rolled icing/sugarpaste. what's the best way? iv'e heard about apricot glaze all over the sponge but ive also seen someone completly cover the sponge in the used buttercream and then put the rolled sugarpaste directly on top......

what's the best way or are these both okay? there any other way? is there better ways with different cakes or if using marzipan?

2 replies
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 11:26am
post #2 of 3

Either way...buttercream underneath, IMBC, SMBC, glaze. As long as whatever it is will make the fondant stick. Altho whipped toppings (cool whip etc) don't like the fondant- it dissolves it.

I don't know a thing about marzipan.

I hope this helps ya!

Caths_Cakes Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 12:00pm
post #3 of 3

I wouldnt use marzipan with sponge, or apricot glaze. Thats really just for fruit cake.

When ever i do a novelty cake, i carve it so its shaped, fill it. then give it a crumb coat of either butter cream or ganash. then a full coat as if i were doing a normal square or round, and then cover with fondant, its the same basis really, just a bit more funny shaped lol. Although sometimes depending on the shape, you may have to do your sugarpaste in sections rather than one full sheet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%