Super Huge Marshmellow Rolled Buttercream Problem!!

Decorating By tmt578 Updated 3 Oct 2009 , 4:15am by cabecakes

tmt578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmt578 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 2:45am
post #1 of 23

I dont know what happened... I'm doing my first 3 tiered cake... HAS TO BE COMPLETED BY TOMORROW NIGHT (and I have to work in the morning!). I made the marshmellow rolled butter cream last night. Coated it in Crisco and wrapped it in siran (is that spelled correctly... to frustrated to care that much) wrap. I took it out today to color it. Once I got the color I wanted by kneading it by hand, I went to roll it out and it is breaking and ugly looking. I CAN'T PICK IT UP W/ OUT IT BREAKING, Its not the way I want it, and I dont know what to do. I put it back in the microwave for a bit to get it back to its "original state" BUT NOTHING IS WORKING.

PLLLLLLLLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ PUH LZZZ SOMEONE HELP ME. I got so frustrated I wrapped it back up and put it back inside the fridge. icon_mad.gificon_redface.gificon_cry.gif

22 replies
Tika35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tika35 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 2:53am
post #2 of 23

Well, now I know I'm not the only one with MMF problems tonight. So sorry and believe me when I say...."I feel your pain"! I've come to the conclusion that for now, store bought is the winner for me! Too tired to keep fighting with Marshmallows!

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:09am
post #3 of 23

try spraying your work surface with pam or greasing it with crisco...do the same to your roller. this should help with the breaking...it will be hard to smooth the fondant once on the cake, but at least it will get on the cake!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:13am
post #4 of 23

are you talking about mmf... or rolled buttercream.. or did you mix the two together.. mmf is one recipe.. rolled buttercream is another recipe. but , i think ...i read on here.. couple weeks ago.. that someone said they mixed the two together...after making each.. please let me know..

tmt578 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:27am
post #5 of 23

I mixed the two from someone's receipe on here. It was marshmellow and a bunch of light corn syrup and shortening. Its called Marshmellow Rolled Buttercream but now it breaking. Its all broken... Idk what to do. It started after I began coloring it.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:29am
post #6 of 23

I only use the MRBC to cover my cookies, but I would suggest some serious Crisco. If you're talking about MMF I would suggest some glycerin or corn syrup to help w/ pliability

tmt578 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:40am
post #7 of 23

I thought it would be great to use on a cake... Can it be used on a cake? Or should I just start over and just do MMF for the cake?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:41am
post #8 of 23

can you lead me to this particular recipe... please.. just want to look it over.. tia...

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:49am
post #9 of 23

I have never tried the MMf or MRB, but if U have to work in the morning and the cake is due tomorrow night I would suggest using ready made Fondant and then worry about trying to fix your MRB later. At least U wont have the stress of trying to get the fondant to co-operate before the cake is due. Good Luck. I really feel your pain. I dont even want to talk about my Fondant fiasco I had over the week-end!(smile)

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:52am
post #10 of 23

Well, I'm not sure.....but I do know you don't put fondant in the fridge. When I am working with MMF, I put mine back in the microwave for a bit to soften it up. It makes it alot easier to roll out.

On a side note, after I wrap mine with saran wrap, I also put it in a freezer bag to keep the air out.

I have never made or worked with rolled buttercream...sorry!

tmt578 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:58am
post #11 of 23

here's the recipe i used.....

This is a recipe that I came up with after being disappointed in Marshmallow Fondant and Rolled Buttercream. So I combined the two and got the best of both worlds. It works great for cookies.

Marshmallow Rolled Buttercream
Ingredients
1 10.5oz bag of mini marshmallows
1-2 TBL water
1 1/2 cups of light corn syrup
1 cup shortening (I use sweetex)
Powdered sugar (4 -6 lbs)
Instructions
In a large microwave safe bowl I put in the entire bag of mini marshmallows with a little water, corn syrup and shortening. Melt this down for about 1 min and then stir until all the marshmallows are melted. Add powdered sugar to bowl and mix ( I use a fork for this) until it is really thick. Then pour it out over a pile of powered sugar and knead it all together. Mix in enough to make it the consistancy of fondant. It helps to put some of the shortening on your hands to keep it from sticking.

2.Then just put it in a ziploc and use as needed. When you go to use it just roll it out like fondant on a little powdered sugar and cut out with your cookie cutters. Attach it with a little piping gel and it sticks with no problem. You can brush off the powdered sugar for a matte look or lighty mist it with water for a glossy look (this is how to get the shiny look on some of them).
3.It will set up enough to stack after a couple of hours of drying. I usually let mine set overnight. Oh and you can also pipe royal icing decorations or luster dust on it to.
4.Hope you like it as much as I do.
Not sure.
the receipe i used...

dandelion56602 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 2:23pm
post #12 of 23

Like I said, I love it for cookies, never tried it for a cake. Dont' know why you couldn't b/c people use regular RBC to cover cakes. If it was cracking there was too much PS---or nuking it could have been the cause. I love the stuff. The fridge does NOT hurt it or MMF---reg fondant yes. You can freeze both RMBC & MMf & nuke it & use it. If you haven't made a batch of MMF yet you can try softening some chocolate (white if that's what you need) an kneading it it. It'll give it some pliability. But since MMF isn't too terrible to make, you might go ahead and make a batch.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:43pm
post #13 of 23

I personally don't think you have the time to make more, get some store bought fondant and do the cake now.

For future reference, I always try something new out first on a product here for home use. That way I know how and IF it will work on something I am making for a client.

Sending good cake thoughts your way........

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 7:51pm
post #14 of 23

I'm so sorry to hear about your disaster. Everyone else here has given you great advice. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I hope it works out for you.

tmt578 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 2:10am
post #15 of 23

My super huge marshmellow rolled buttercream problem/Disaster turned into a super huge hit! I made to spec just mmf and covered the cakes... And heres the end result!!!

Thanks alot for the help, advice, comfort, support, and CAKE LOVE... Hope you like it! Oh btw... these are my first Calla Lillies too!
LL
LL

dandelion56602 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 4:50am
post #16 of 23

I think it turned out really well. Glad your "disaster" had a good ending!

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 10:32am
post #17 of 23

Wow! Great job! You worked it out!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:00pm
post #18 of 23

Glad it all turned out for you! Nice job!!

dandelion56602 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 2:15pm
post #19 of 23

I think it turned out really well. Glad your "disaster" had a good ending!

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 4:10pm
post #20 of 23

So glad your "disaster" turned out so be a success!!

dandelion56602 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 8:06pm
post #21 of 23

this is the 2nd time (that I'm aware of) that my computer has double posted & me not on it. Ugggh, sorry

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:59pm
post #22 of 23

It turned out wonderful! You calla lilies are awesome!

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 4:15am
post #23 of 23

Way to pull a rabbit out of the hat! Good Job. Up until my last cake all I used was marshmallow fondant, and I love it. I was keeping mine in the fridge, but I have found that it works much better to keep it at room temp. I'm glad it all worked out well for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%