5 Tier With 4 Surrounding Satelittes ~ Table Question

Decorating By kellertur Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 3:08am by kellertur

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 1:39am
post #1 of 7

I'm trying to figure out what size table the reception hall will need for this cake. They suggested a 3 ft round, but that's going to be too small.
I've done some math, but I'm a bit confused as to what size table to use.

5 tier (6, 8, 10, 12, 14) stacked construction, no stairs, etc.
& FOUR 10" rounds satellites surrounding, arranged (like a square with the large cake in the center)

I added all the boards I'll use (4" larger than cakes) and got 5 foot table which doesn't sound right... can anyone please help?

Thank you very much. icon_smile.gif

6 replies
kellertur Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 7

Anyone, please? I'd really appreciate your advice incase my calculations are off... especially with that kind of weight.

thank you

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 7

A 5' table is 60" in diameter. That should work fine. Here's a pic of one I did with satellites: http://www.flickr.com/photos/55969028@N00/240960189/

The only concern I'd have is having enough room to cut the cake and place the cut pieces of cake on the table. (I always cut my cakes right out in the open .... I don't "sneak" it back into the kitchen. Ergo, I dont' deliver the plates of cake to the tables .... people who want cake come up and get the cake they want. It's part of how we "keep it simple" by reducing the amount of staff I need to bring to the event.)

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 7

What Indydebi said thumbs_up.gif

kellertur Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 1:47am
post #5 of 7

Thank you. icon_smile.gif So, a 5" round table would work even with four 10" round satellites on 12-14" boards? What were the size of your cakes in the photo?

By the way Debi, the cake in the photo is beautiful. I love how you arranged the satellites. I never even heard about satellite cakes before I discovered CC.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:04am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellertur

5 tier (6, 8, 10, 12, 14) stacked construction, no stairs, etc. & FOUR 10" rounds satellites surrounding, arranged (like a square with the large cake in the center)

I added all the boards I'll use (4" larger than cakes) and got 5 foot table which doesn't sound right... can anyone please help?

Thank you very much. icon_smile.gif

Let's check my math:
14" cake on a board 4" larger = 18" of linear space.

Assume one 10" cake on each side of the 14" cake; 10" cake on a 14" square. (personally, I think a 10" cake will look lost on a 14" board. Is a 12" board an option? If not ... no sweat. Like I said, just personal preference. icon_smile.gif )

Ok.... So each 10" cake will take up 14" of space. Two on each side = 28" + the 18" = 46" of linear space. A 5" table is 60" across. That gives you 14" of space to play with .....

Hmmm ... we ARE starting to get tight here. That gives you 7" extra space on each side. If you center the 10" cakes, you'll have 3.5" of space between the main cake and a 10" cake .... and 3.5" between the 10" cake and the edge of the table.

While the space directly in front/back of the main cake and side/side of the main cake will be tight (I'm assuming the 10" cakes will be placed at the 12, 3, 6 and 9 position), there will be lots of empty "white space" at the 1-2; 4-5, 7-8, and 10-11 positions.

If they can give you a 6' table, you'll have a bit more working room. The issue with a larger round table is that the cake is usually centered on the table .... which means you'll be leaning over about 2-3' of table to set up the cake. So if you're assembling on site, bring a step ladder. icon_biggrin.gif

kellertur Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 3:08am
post #7 of 7

Thanks Debi,
I had planned on the 10" rounds to be on 12" boards but a local bakery that sells them told me I need to go UP. I think I'll use my instincts and do the 12". They would look lost.

I appreciate your work on this. I did mention to the bride that the satellites could be left in the kitchen if there's no room since she originally asked for sheet cakes... after I explained your theory on this, she went with satellites. This bride has been a pleasure to work with so far (sent me the balance a month early), so I'm not as stressed as I normally would have been with a cake this large. I'll know her exact count next week, but she said between 350-375... maybe more! YIKES!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%