Modeling Chocolate/fondant - Buy Or Make It Yourself?

Decorating By icalise Updated 29 Sep 2009 , 6:09pm by icalise

icalise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icalise Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 1:16am
post #1 of 4

HI:
I'm new to cake decorating and to CC. I'm scheduled to take a class on 3D carving. On the supply list is modeling chocolate. I saw on some posts on here some recipes for making your own modeling chocolate. I'm afraid to chose the wrong one for the class, since I will be using it for the first time and I want to get the most out of the class by having all the correct supplies. Is there a difference between the different types? Would you suggest buying or making it yourself?

Fondant - I was taught with the wilton fondant in the wilton courses. I once tried making my own with marshmallows and I could not work with it at all. It was the same texture as gumpaste that sat out a little, before you strech it and work it. Except with this fontant, no matter how much I tried to fold it etc... the texture stayed the same. I took it to class and my instructer was determined to make it work and could not. Someone else in the class brought the marshmallow fondant that day and she had a similar problem to mine. I would love to make my own and save some money but since I'm new, I do need something that is easy to work with. What do you guys suggest?

Thank you,
Ines

3 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 2:02am
post #2 of 4

Make it yourself.

It's easy to make and inexpensive. The prices I've seen on pre-made modeling chocolate are outrageous compared to the price when you make it yourself, even if you use a high-end chocolate in the recipe.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 2:22am
post #3 of 4

I make my own MMF and I'll try to give you some tips that I have found along the way. You put in the 16oz of marshmallows in a large bowl with 2 tbs of water. Melt it for 2 and a half minutes in the microwave stopping every 30 seconds to stir them with a crisco greased wooden spoon. Add one TBS of clear flavoring at this point if you wish. Add in 3/4 of 2lbs of powdered sugar. It will be incredibly sticky at this point but stir the sugar into the marshmallows. Grease a counter or silpat and dump the marshmallow sugar mix out onto the counter. Grease your hands and start to knead. Only add in as much of the left over sugar as necessary in order to knead the MMF to pizza dough consistancy. When you reach that point grease the ball of dough lightly and wrap well in two layers of saran wrap or one layer of press and seal. Let sit in the fridge for a minimum of 24 hours. When you take it back out of the fridge you can microwave it for 15 seconds to loosen it up again. Grease your mat or counter again and start to knead a section of the dough that you will need for whatever size cake you are covering. Knead it with greased hands till smooth. If it gets too greasy just add in some powdered sugar, if it seems too dry then add in some crisco to loosen it up. The idea is to get it back to the pizza dough consistancy before rolling out. As with other fondants, if you roll too thin it will break/tear/crack so try not to go more than a eight of an inch thin.

Hope some of this helps!

Cat

icalise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icalise Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 4

Cat:

Thank you so much! I had no idea you should wait 24 hours or that it should refrigerated. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! I will try that next time and be sure to let you know how it worked out.

Theresa, do you have a recipe for the modeling chocolate?

Thank you,
Ines

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%