Product Review? What The Heck Is That?

Lounge By andrea7 Updated 8 Dec 2009 , 3:33am by mrs_smith

andrea7 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 10:10pm
post #1 of 87

Need some help from all you wonderful bakers. I have a bride that is unhappy with her wedding cake. I made the cake exactly like she wanted, exactly. I already knew she was picky so nothing was forgotten and spent extra time making a very perfect cake for her. I copied and pasted what she and I said below. She wants to come in for a product review? What's that? I'm trying to get information, because sometimes people just want to come in and say thank for the cake, but she's not giving me info to why she wants to come back to the studio. You have to start reading from the bottom of the page going up. I never had someone not exactly say upfront what was wrong. This is to weird to me and entertaining at the same time. What do you all think? I really feel buyers remorse more than anything. Mom who was the pickiest about the cake love it at the venue. I'm not good with words. Any smart a** remarks I can give back to her. She get's bitchy in the last email, but frankly I could care less. Please give me a good punch backicon_smile.gif How can I help with no real complaint? People are crazy. She needs to read her contract, she's screwed.
Andrea

(her latest email)
As I stated before, we would like to discuss the cake you provided for our wedding. It did not meet our expectations and did not reflect what we discussed at our final meeting, according to our contract.
So will you provide a convenient time for us to come by

(my next email)
I'm usually booked up a week ahead. This Thursday i'm completely booked. I guess i'm confused, is there something wrong? I have never heard of a product review? I don't know what you need or want?
Andrea

(her next email)
How about Thursday at 5:30 at your location?

(my first email to her)
It's good to hear from you. I hope you loved your cakeicon_smile.gif This week i'm
booked with cakes and appointments. Is everything ok?

(first email from her)
Good Afternoon Andrea,

My husband and I would like to set up a meeting to discuss with you the
product your company provided for our Sept 19 wedding. Thursday or
Friday would work best for us. Thank you.

86 replies
andrea7 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 87

Oh I forgot the kicker. Why would her husband come to the review, i've never met him and he doesn't know what was discussed. I think when I do email her back, i'm telling her i'm bringing my husband too!
Andrea

kelleym Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 87
Quote:
Quote:

Dear Bride:

If there was a problem with your cake, please detail those problems in writing. I am fully booked in the coming weeks.

Thanks,
Andrea7

She wants her hubby there to be the "enforcer". icon_lol.gif

suz3 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 87

I just looked at your cakes. WOW!!!! I'd be thrilled with any of them. They are just beautiful.

Bunsen Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 10:58pm
post #5 of 87

I think you have the measure of her, sounds like she is trying to ambush you and get her refund. I would send her exactly what Kelleym said - get the details off her first (if she refuses, tell her you would need time to to review your notes and contract prior to any face to face meeting, that is not unreasonable)

Good luck and stick to your guns, you know the cake was perfect - don't let her take advantage!

cookiemama2 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 11:00pm
post #6 of 87

your cakes are beautiful! Which one is she complaining about?

cathyscakes Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 11:04pm
post #7 of 87

Yes Andrea, you're cakes are beautiful. Strange way of phrasing the problem. Why was she being so vague. I'd love to see the cake, is it in your pictures?

andrea7 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 11:05pm
post #8 of 87

I never posted the picture. It's wasn't something I personally liked, which happens. She just wanted to much crap on it. I like a less is more look.
Andrea

andrea7 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 11:08pm
post #9 of 87

Oh and thanks for the kind comments on my cakesicon_smile.gif
Andrea

Deb_ Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 11:18pm
post #10 of 87

Oh boy, this one sounds like she's got a plan. When was her wedding?

andrea7 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 11:22pm
post #11 of 87

Her wedding was two weeks ago.

Deb_ Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 11:29pm
post #12 of 87

2 weeks? It definitely sounds like a bad case of buyer's remorse. There seems to be an awful lot of that going around lately.

You've received some great advice above.....ask her to list in detail exactly why the cake didn't meet her expectations per your contract. I would definitely try to handle this through e-mail or phone.

They've obviously used the 2 weeks since the wedding to plot their actions.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

costumeczar Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 11:42pm
post #13 of 87

Yes, just tell her (in an email) that you'd be glad to talk to her by email, but that you need to know what she was dissatisfied with, since the product you delivered was exactly what was specified in the contract. Ask her to show in the copy of the contract that she has what was different, and that you'd be glad to respond, but that you are unable to schedule a meeting unless you know in advance what she wants to talk about so that you can research the situation.

Tee-Y Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 11:43pm
post #14 of 87

Get your notes together and if possible get back-up too, possibly a friend who is a lawyer to be with you when they come in and get it over with. Don't stall, it will look like you are being defensive and are afraid to face them . Btw-your cakes are lovely!!!!

-K8memphis Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 11:48pm
post #15 of 87
Quote:
Quote:

So will you provide a convenient time for us to come by

To this question I would just say, "No--we can talk on the phone"
--what's the big secret anyway.

But it would be fun to have your whole family and a lot of big guy friends at the shop when you scheduled the appointment with her & hubby. Maybe you could get some biker buddies to park their motorcycles in the parking lot.

No no no--have them waiting down the street--give them a call when the 'newlyweds' arrive--have them all come screaming up on their bikes & come in for coffee. Hug each one like they were long lost brothers. Then say to b&g--"Oh yes where were we..."

icon_lol.gif

This is drama for dramas sake--this annoys me greatly. eugh

-K8memphis Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 11:50pm
post #16 of 87

Yeah Bunsen called it! 'Sgot ambush written all over it huh.

A product review my big toe!

indydebi Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 11:51pm
post #17 of 87

k8, i luv ya more each day! icon_lol.gif

Deb_ Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 11:53pm
post #18 of 87

I wonder if there is any "product" left to review.....

-K8memphis Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 11:58pm
post #19 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

k8, i luv ya more each day! icon_lol.gif

Gimme five~~~ icon_lol.gif Love you too!!

Doug Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 12:01am
post #20 of 87

feels a new contract clause coming on.

version A: any disputes over quality of product delivered will be discussed at <insert name of local Hell's Angles chapter's meeting spot> <insert name of head of chapter> will be the final arbiter of any dispute. PS: he's my riding partner.

version B: any disputes over the quality of product delivered will be discussed at the law office of <name of firm> where the per hour fee is $X payable in full by the bride in advance at standard 2 hour minimum.

-K8memphis Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 12:14am
post #21 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

feels a new contract clause coming on.

version A: any disputes over quality of product delivered will be discussed at <insert name of local Hell's Angles chapter's meeting spot> <insert name of head of chapter> will be the final arbiter of any dispute. PS: he's my riding partner.

version B: any disputes over the quality of product delivered will be discussed at the law office of <name of firm> where the per hour fee is $X payable in full by the bride in advance at standard 2 hour minimum.

Now these are clauses I could live with! icon_lol.gif

JanH Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 1:25am
post #22 of 87

I'm moving this thread to the Lounge, where it can only be viewed by members. icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 5:24am
post #23 of 87

She SO wants her money back! I think costumeczarina gave you the best advice. I gotta laugh though. I do think she is bringing her husband for renforcements...but whose supposed to be scared of her husband?!

Deb_ Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 11:49am
post #24 of 87

Tell her you're a member of CC and all the "thugs" here are your re-enforcement! icon_lol.gif

countrycakes Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 11:53am
post #25 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Tell her you're a member of CC and all the "thugs" here are your re-enforcement! icon_lol.gif

Here, Here! totally agree...... thumbs_up.gif

michellenj Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 12:15am
post #26 of 87

OP-please tell me you have a signed contract.

Also, tell them the cake mafia/CC faux legal team is reviewing her case. icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck!

adree313 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 1:48am
post #27 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

icon_lol.gif

andrea7 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:13am
post #28 of 87

I have a signed contract that i'm not liable for anything. I did go back to the contract and pictures I took of the cake. There's not a mistake anywhere. I never make mistakes because I go over the instructions several times (OCD) and once more before the cake leaves the shop. I'm sure I look sweet and stupid but the bitch will be unleashed if i'm pushed. thumbs_up.gif
Andrea

andrea7 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 3:40am
post #29 of 87

After several requests for information this is her latest email. If she can't tell me what's wrong, then the matter is over in my opinion. After she said her hubby was coming, I take that as a threat and no way will I meat her. This is the latest email.

As I stated before, the product you delivered did not meet our expectations, for several reasons. What is there to research? But I would like to sit down, face to face, and talk it out. We may end up agreeing to disagree.

However, as the business owner, I would think you'd be eager to try to resolve a customer complaint. You're in a very personal business and you're telling me that email is the only way you will communicate with me? That is completely unfair and unexpected as I could count the number of emails between us on one hand, up until this point.

So, I ask again, will you provide a convenient time for us to come by? In the meantime, I will prepare a detailed list of why it did not meet our expectations to send to you before our meeting so that you can "research."

kelleym Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:20am
post #30 of 87

Oh good lord.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%