How To Color A Flamingo?

Decorating By mommy2owen Updated 29 Sep 2009 , 2:48pm by mommy2owen

mommy2owen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2owen Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 5:27pm
post #1 of 8

I'm wanting to do a carved flamingo for my mom's birthday, but I'm having a hard time deciding what how to get the color. I know I could just do a pink flamingo and be done with it, but I just love the color of the bird in this pic. Any ideas on how to get anywhere close to this shade?

Thanks! thumbs_up.gif
LL

7 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 8

I get a coral color by starting with a pink and adding yellow.Maybe a dab of orange after that...

mommy2owen Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks! I don't think I would have thought of that. I'll give it a try. icon_smile.gif

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 8

What a beautiful color. As you can tell by my avatar, I love flamingos icon_lol.gif . Will you do a standing 3-D one? I see orange with a bit of pink added..... Please post a pic when you complete your cake.

mommy2owen Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 10:53am
post #5 of 8

I took the easy way out and made the flamingo sitting in the sand. icon_wink.gif Here's a link to the finished product....well, almost finished. I think I'm going to add a few details. My mom loved it though. icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1475268.html

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 1:39pm
post #6 of 8

Great job thumbs_up.gif . You did a terrific job with the rkt neck and head - is there a support of any kind in the neck?

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 1:48pm
post #7 of 8

You did a great job icon_smile.gif

mommy2owen Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 2:48pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks aquamom. icon_smile.gif Ibmoser, yes there is support in the neck...and what a difference it makes! I've used rkt before, but never with any support it in. I used what I had on hand. I had a new pack of unused wire coat hangers, so I took one and squeezed it together into a long straight line with plyers and then shaped it into the shape of the neck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%