Can You Flavor Royal Icing?

Baking By Jennzoe333 Updated 29 Sep 2009 , 1:04pm by Jennzoe333

Jennzoe333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennzoe333 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 16

Is there a way to make royal icing that is flavored, particularly lemon? I want to make some lemon sugar cookies and wondered if the icing could be changed. Could you use lemon juice instead of water or is there oil in the juice that would keep the icing from hardening? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

15 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:51pm
post #2 of 16

I put vanilla in mine all the time. Never used lemon so I don't know how that would work.

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 16

I use vanilla in mine all the time without a problem. I would think as long as you use something that doesn't have any oil you would be ok. However, since RI is alreay a little on the tart side, lemon alone might be too much.

Jennzoe333 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 16

I've never thought of RI as being tart, hhmmm. To me it tastes very very sweet. I have a batch of stiff icing made already. I'm going to take out a little bit and add some lemon to some and some vanilla to some also. I'll see if it hardens. Thanks guys! I appreciate any help I get! I will post results shortly and see if they harden.

still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 4:39pm
post #5 of 16

I've made RI flavored with orange oil a bunch of times - my DH loves it icon_smile.gif Haven't ever had a problem with it. In fact I usually make plain RI at the same time and you can't tell the difference until you taste them. HTH!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 4:43pm
post #6 of 16

I use extracts in my royal all the time.........raspberry, strawberry, lemon, maple, etc.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 4:49pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennzoe333

I've never thought of RI as being tart,

I think the MP gives the Royal a "sharp" taste, not necessarily "tart" as in "sour". I add the vanilla to soften the sharpness of the taste.

mgwebb68 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 4:52pm
post #8 of 16

yep, that's what I meant Indydebi. I add the vanilla too to soften the flavor and it comes out really nice.

Caralinc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caralinc Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 4:52pm
post #9 of 16

I usually use the lemon extract in mine and love it. My clients love the smell of the lemon as well as the taste. You could probably use some fresh squeezed lemon juice. This way it would be natural so you would not have any guess work w/ the juice ( the juice may be fine to though) instead of some of the water. HTHs

messy_chef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy_chef Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 4:53pm
post #10 of 16

I use 1 part lemon juice to 3 parts water.

Jennzoe333 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 5:24pm
post #11 of 16

Ok, I guess I need to use lemon extract and not lemon juice. lemon juice ahs oil in it and when I tried it it didn't set. I added lemon extract and vanilla to a small batch and it set up just fine and tastes wonderful. I'm mixing in some peanut butter cookies and some very rich dark chocolate cookies into a box to go to my husband's job and just thought lemon would be a nice refreshing taste after all that ehavy chocolate and peanut butter.

And yes, I agree on the "tart" factor now that I went back and tasted some plain RI, it DID have a kind of tart taste. Maybe that's why I prefer it to the flavor of buttercream. I'm a "tarty" kind of girl. LOL

Thanks everyone!

Jennzoe333 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 11:56am
post #12 of 16

Ok, so my lemon flavored RI turned out wonderful! These were my first ever sugar cookies and I'm pretty new at piping with RI, so all in all, I'm pretty proud of these. By the way, the NFSC recipe is WONDERFUL! They held their shape beautifully, even the intricately cut ones. I also baked the peanut butter and chocolate cookies but got so wrapped uop decorating the sugar ones that I haven't even begun to decorate those!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1475183

messy_chef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy_chef Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 12:23pm
post #13 of 16

Beautiful cookies, Jennzoe! I tried to comment but you don't have it set where people can leave comments.

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 12:42pm
post #14 of 16

Your cookies are beautiful jen!

mgwebb68 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 12:53pm
post #15 of 16

Your cookies turned out beautifully! Great Job!

Glad you were able to get the lemon to work. I usually only add vanilla, I guess I may have to give the lemon a try sometime.

Jennzoe333 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 1:04pm
post #16 of 16

Thanks everyone! I had no idea my comments were turned off on my photos! I just changed that. The cookies were SO much fun to decorate and I can't wait to do some more. I'm attempting to cover the peanut butter ones with chocolate today and who knows what else I'll do on them. I never really have a plan when it comes to decorating. That's why I could probably never sell anything! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%