Help With Fondant Technique

Decorating By peony421 Updated 28 Sep 2009 , 7:05pm by zenu

peony421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peony421 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 2

I'd like to make a cake similar to this one attached. I was wondering if there is a technique for making that top blue cover for fondant? Any input would be most appreciated.

Also, quick question about figures. I want to make an elephant figure to put on top and was wondering do you typically make figures just out of gumpaste or a mixture of gumpaste and fondant. I have satin ice gumpaste and fondant.

One more question, the banner at the bottom that says "god bless..." do people typically make those from fondant or gumpaste.

I like to make my decorations ahead of time so I know they will dry some.

Thanks so much!!!
LL

1 reply
zenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zenu Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 2

Hi, I use Satin Ice often. To make figures you can use a gumpaste/fondant mix. I usually just add tylose powder to the fondant and that works well enough. I make banners like that as well.

For the top of the cake, I would just roll out the blue fondant and place it on the cake, you could dust a little cornstarch on the sides to prevent sticking until you have cut your design and are ready to stick it on the sides. I would use an exacto knife and free hand the cut or you could make a template out of was paper to guide the cut.

Hope that helps! Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%